LegacyGT.com

1994 Subaru Legacy Brighton - check engine light

I have a JDM 1994 Legacy Brighton (2.2l), I'm not sure what the equivalent name is in the US. The check engine light has been coming and going for the last 3 weeks, usually for a few mins, now it has been on for the past two days and I'm getting a bit worried about it.

I have the manual but I can't read it since it's in Japanese, and I don't want to take it to a mechanic just as yet due to the cost.

A few weeks ago it would start, then die a few seconds later, it then wouldn't turn over and I'd have to give it a min or so before retrying. It did that on 3 separae occasions but hasn't done it latey. It's also been idling high sometimes.

Is there anything I can do on my own to check this?

Thanks

I read that thread, then looked up how to do it on the older gen models where I need to plug the green wire in, did that, turned it on, check engine light didn't come on / cleared.

Took it for a spin to get it to come back, it didn't. Now it won't start at all, everytime I turn the key, the engine tries to turn over but doesn't, and just shakes like it's going to. I also noticed that when taking off from park this afternoon it was a bit slow as it started moving.

I'm gonna give it 30 mins to cool down and retry.

. . . .did you unplug the wires??

Yeah looking back, it looks like I did it wrong.

The light hasn't came back on. I got it started and left it idling for a few minutes, I got these vids of the car running in case anyone can identify anything.

Yeah, it looks like I did it wrong.

I posted some links to youtube vids I took of the engine and stuff, but they seem to require a mod to approve them. I actually got the engine up and running, but it doesn't sound normal, I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to try again and hope the light comes on again.

Archived