LegacyGT.com

How to Legacize a VDC or XT?

Questions don't come dumber than this, but... So I'm seriously considering getting a Legacy GT wagon, but it does lack some of the interior nicities of the high end outbacks. So here's the challenge: What needs to be done to an Outback VDC to change its handling and drive character to that of the GT? All ideas entertained! -NP P.S. Talk about bling for buck, I mean this is a silly thought experiment, but there are just some things in the Outback that are not in the GT that POs me. I mean how hard would it have been to remember to put a power outlet in the cargo area? P.P.S. I'm a bad bad person, but I like the outback's paint job better, but why on earth do I have to sit ~9" off the ground and get itty bitty breaks to get a decent stereo? P.P.P.S. Oh and why a wagon for flip down seats? Were they really that strapped for wieght?

Just did a quick run through on the differences between the Outback VDC, 3.0R sedan, 2.5XT and the Legacy GT wagon. here are the highlights: Outback VDC. LLBean is same, without stability contol, MP3, and with special leather. Anemic H6. the 2.5 Turbo makes more torque. automatic w/ VDC - Exclusive to that model outback only. VTD AWD and VDC stability control. Tire Pressure Monitoring system standard. 8.4 inches of ground clearance (Heavy Duty) doesn't claim to have stabilizer (anti-roll) bars, like the legacy, otherwise probably just shocks, struts and springs swap-over to legacy-spec. Taller tires. 225/55-17 Engine speed? power assisted rack and pinion 4stage seat heaters mahogany wood steering wheel overhead console Power outlet in console and wagon cargo area. 7speaker &sub MP3 system with wheel controls Taupe interior only. 3,0R sedan 16*6.5 wheels with 225/55-r17 inch tires, how does that work? Tire pressure monitoring is still a go. 6spkr nonMP3 stereo, but still has wheel controls Taupe only. 2.5XT Limited 2.5 turbo with 250lbft. torque manual trans standard, VTD Automatic optional. No mahogany on steering wheel. No Tire pressure monitors. Didn't even see the option for them. Yes to power in wagon cargo area. 6spkr without steering wheel controls. black or taupe leather. Legacy 2.5GT Limited. Stabilizer bars listed in suspension equipment. No ground clearance listed. shorter tires: 215/45-r17 No overhead console, or power in the wagon cargo area. 6spkr non MP3 with no steering wheel controls. Black or taupe interior. First, a couple more questions, comments: -Why engine speed sensitive power steering? shouldn't it be road-speed sensitive? probably not a problem. -Why no overhead console, power outlet in the back, or TIRE MONITORS on the 2.5 models? -their wheel spec for the 3.0R sedan is listed wrong, it says 16" rims, and 17" tires. that would be a neat trick. -Why VDC stability control only on the top outback wagon? is VDC stability control even worth it? -4 stage seat heaters didn't seem to make it to the lower models either, why not? -and to echo NoblePrawn again, WHY NO MP3 STEREO in other models? Now, how I would turn an Outback into a Legacy: Get Legacy, or better yet, SPT or STi legacy suspension shocks, struts, springs and stabilizer bars, brake discs and caliper mounts and calipers. replace outback parts. De-badge the tailgate. Done. Other options: 17 or 18x8 wheels, and 225 width tires. -remove lower door body cladding, and have a fender flair filler panel -made out of fiberglass or other material for the trailing edge of the rear doors. I would leave the rocker panels, or get legacy peices, if they fit the fender flairs. -Cut out crescents in the rear bumper, and install GT or STi mufflers and exhaust tips. -Change out outback grille for legacy grille, or mesh alternative. -repaint lower body cladding/fender flares in body color, or don't if you like the way it looks. Or I suppose you could go the legacy GT route, and try and get the interior parts from the outback... I like the 2.5 turbo engine idea more than the 3.0 H6, anyway.

I would guess that, with the ride height difference, the Outback will also have special links, etc. One guy wanted to convert a previous-gen Outback to a GT, and ran into all sorts of difficulties. You might be better off getting a GT Limited wagon in taupe, which includes the fancy wood bits. Then you source one of the mahogany steering wheels, and you're done. I think it's easier to luxe up a GT than to GT an Outback. Kevin

On the steering wheel bit... Since the 6spkr non-MP3 unit in the LLBean, as well as the MP3 unit in the VDC, both have steering wheel controls, it is probably not unique to the stereo. It is probably whether or not the steering wheel has buttons and wires to plug into the wiring harness for controlling the stereo. My question, then is where are the buttons for the stereo? since this would be an automatic sportshift trans, are the stereo buttons on the back of the wheel rim, on the front of the wheel/airbag area with the trans buttons, or on the back of the wheel trim, behind the trans buttons. As long as it isn't the wheel rim, why would you need the taupe interior? you wouldn't need the mahogany wheel either, just the button panels and wiring. That brings us back to the point, why isn't it an option on the Legacy to begin with... The wiring for the rear accessory plug should be easy enough. one could probably put one in the trunk of the sedan, if they wanted to. Fun, fun, fun...

Archived