LegacyGT.com

intake ?

CoolHandLuke12

long story short,

took of air box to see the intake silencer was deleted.

am installing a vf52 brand new turbo and grimmspeed up pipe

do i buy a silencer $40

or upgrade intake?...if so is there any decent intakes for under $300

funds are limited, and im not looking to go crazy with power on the turbo as of yet, car has had issues so my primary concern is to have it running right, in future will look to get it to full potential. and also the silencer delete...does it really affect MPG's, because since i have bought car (2 months ago) terrible MPG's, now i know that not the only issue, but it can have some affect...thoughts?

Leave the stock intake there, it's hard to beat.

My 05 and 09 have the silencer removed, no effect on mpg.

Get the car tuned for the vf52, my wagon get's great mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What are your plans regarding a tune for the new turbo? Cobb AP or open source?

i will be tuning it after turbo is in, there is a someone i know locally that does tuning for $250 flat rate, and they will be doing it on the street they don't have a dyno, from my understanding its better that way than a dyno....thoughts?

honestly, ive had leaking issues with the car, and i just want it run correctly, no leaks, im not looking to go to high boost and max out turbo as of now....it's a daily driver, so i want it to last, have some fun obviously, but for now im just more concerned with having it not leak and not get 10 mpg lol.

also, thoughts on a tune...immediately? or is it better to wait a little?

i will be tuning it after turbo is in, there is a someone i know locally that does tuning for $250 flat rate, and they will be doing it on the street they don't have a dyno, from my understanding its better that way than a dyno....thoughts?

honestly, ive had leaking issues with the car, and i just want it run correctly, no leaks, im not looking to go to high boost and max out turbo as of now....it's a daily driver, so i want it to last, have some fun obviously, but for now im just more concerned with having it not leak and not get 10 mpg lol.

also, thoughts on a tune...immediately? or is it better to wait a little?

A street tune is fine (as compared to a dyno) so long as the tuner has a pretty good rep. You will need to get the leak issue addressed before any tuning as you will be throwing your money away otherwise. While you are doing the install you should zip-tie every vacuum connection (especially the tee under the intercooler).

You should get your tune done IMMEDIATELY after the turbo install. The VF52 moves more air than your stock turbo, so there is a good probability you will go lean during boost and blow up your engine. If you must drive to the tuner, baby it and stay out of boost (but it is still not recommended).

The infamous e-tune has an advantage here as they can send you a base tune well before you actually need it. You will need a $20-$50 cable and a laptop to be able to interface with your car (or you can use a Cobb AP which is super user friendly but is $600 new). After the base tune is flashed you will have to take some logs to send back to infamous so they can refine your tune. If I remember correctly they are somewhere near $150 for a tune.

A street tune is fine (as compared to a dyno) so long as the tuner has a pretty good rep. You will need to get the leak issue addressed before any tuning as you will be throwing your money away otherwise. While you are doing the install you should zip-tie every vacuum connection (especially the tee under the intercooler).

You should get your tune done IMMEDIATELY after the turbo install. The VF52 moves more air than your stock turbo, so there is a good probability you will go lean during boost and blow up your engine. If you must drive to the tuner, baby it and stay out of boost (but it is still not recommended).

The infamous e-tune has an advantage here as they can send you a base tune well before you actually need it. You will need a $20-$50 cable and a laptop to be able to interface with your car (or you can use a Cobb AP which is super user friendly but is $600 new). After the base tune is flashed you will have to take some logs to send back to infamous so they can refine your tune. If I remember correctly they are somewhere near $150 for a tune.

good to know..as far as leaks, all vacuum lines have been checked, so the only leak that was left is from the stock turbo...final piece to the puzzle...as far as the place im going for a tune, my brother had a gsx in the past and went to him, he's pretty well known, so it will be in good hands, but yeah that was my concern is actually getting to him, cuz i never had a turbo car before and im not trying to have this brand new turbo **** up....just trying to do this right the first time and not have to make it a 2nd time...thank you for the input.

Archived