LegacyGT.com

Consideration: 2007 E63 AMG Wagon

Gents,

Never really been to this part of the site before. Looking for some feedback on a possible replacement as the family gets bigger. I originally searched for a LGT wagon, but never found anything that met the criteria so I went with a sedan.

Current: 08 LGT DGM/5-spd. Stg 2 with lots of suspension mods 45k miles owned since new (paid for)

Debating: In negotiation for an 07 E63 AMG Wagon Blk on Blk 507hp/465ft.-lb., 37k miles, Auto optioned nicely (not many to choose from) Navi, 5-spokes, no 3rd seat (but can add one easily), no mods, less than $40k (still negotiating)

Don't know much about the AMG community or MB for that matter.

Any feedback would be great as I respect the opinions of this forum.

Thanks,

Monk

Great engine, sounds like the devil is roaring at you evertime you get on the throttle. The car will cost a lot to maintain. Are you planning on DDing this AMG all year? I doubt it is the best snow choice. AMGs have trouble hooking on up dry roads much less wet or snowy ones. I am sure you could make it work with the right tire selection but there are better choices to begin with. Another thing to think of is the E63 gets similar fuel economy to a full size truck. A buddy of mine had one for a while and I do not think he average above 15mpg the entire time he had it. He does have a somewhat heavy foot.

Gents,

Never really been to this part of the site before. Looking for some feedback on a possible replacement as the family gets bigger. I originally searched for a LGT wagon, but never found anything that met the criteria so I went with a sedan.

Current: 08 LGT DGM/5-spd. Stg 2 with lots of suspension mods 45k miles owned since new (paid for)

Debating: In negotiation for an 07 E63 AMG Wagon Blk on Blk 507hp/465ft.-lb., 37k miles, Auto optioned nicely (not many to choose from) Navi, 5-spokes, no 3rd seat (but can add one easily), no mods, less than $40k (still negotiating)

Don't know much about the AMG community or MB for that matter.

Any feedback would be great as I respect the opinions of this forum.

Thanks,

Monk

Maintenance cost has the potential to be on the high side. But you may get lucky and not have much outside of oil changes, fluids, and brakes. Find a good independent MB shop to save on labor and buy parts online. Or do as much as you can yourself. It is a $100k car optioned out when new. Less than $40k is a nice way to get into a very exclusive club of AMG wagon owners. I'll wait for the twin turbo one with AWD to get into that price range before considering a purchase.

This is the most exclusive car MB sells in the US. Fewer numbers are said to have been sold than the SLR. :confused: The wagon is uber rare - and super hot.

Power is sweet and the NA throttle response will make you smile non-stop!

Can I be your friend if you buy it? :wub:

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. Totally understand about the repair cost. That and reliability are my main concerns. The snow concern in Ohio is really a bit of a joke around here. It never gets BAD. As for the mileage, I kind of don't care as my longest commute even picking up my kid is 11 miles round trip. I struggle put 9k miles on my car a year.

The exclusivity at 1 of 67 imported to the US for 2007 along with the flexibility of the wagon while maintaining performance is what is driving the possibility of this decision.

tytek, of course you can be friend, but no you can't drive! hehe...

suds, PM sent.

If you can maintain at least $5k to $7k in a savings account to cover repairs and maintenance then go for it. If you can't do that then run away.

This.

If you can afford to repair it, then go for it.

Cars like this require their own emergency funds. Keep that account funded, and the maintenance problems of owning something like this disappear for the most part.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Mega Users
Thanks for the opinions so far guys. Totally understand about the repair cost. That and reliability are my main concerns. The snow concern in Ohio is really a bit of a joke around here. It never gets BAD. As for the mileage, I kind of don't care as my longest commute even picking up my kid is 11 miles round trip. I struggle put 9k miles on my car a year.

The exclusivity at 1 of 67 imported to the US for 2007 along with the flexibility of the wagon while maintaining performance is what is driving the possibility of this decision.

tytek, of course you can be friend, but no you can't drive! hehe...

suds, PM sent.

love this car would buy it any day

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

This.

If you can afford to repair it, then go for it.

Cars like this require their own emergency funds. Keep that account funded, and the maintenance problems of owning something like this disappear for the most part.

If yoy have the funds it isn't an emergency at that point just a pain in the ass. There will likely be a lot of pain in the ass moments with an out of warranty German car and a well supplied repair account but at least they won't be emergencies.

If the money is there do it for sure! Have you considered a CTS-V wagon?

I am only even looking into this because one became available. While I do love the CTS-V wagons, the interior is a bit more cramped than even a Legacy, especially the rear seat. At least the E-class provides 2 more inches of rear legroom.

Looking now at getting an extended warranty for it, possibly CPO.

Monk

• 1 month later...

Nope, found out the car was a bit of a lemon and had been through 3 dealerships in the last 8 months and that this dealer had "sold" it once on ebay already.

For that kind of coin I thought things were a bit too shady. Bummed...

Nope, found out the car was a bit of a lemon and had been through 3 dealerships in the last 8 months and that this dealer had "sold" it once on ebay already.

For that kind of coin I thought things were a bit too shady. Bummed...

All mercs are lemons... I thought we discussed this earlier in the thread? ;)

Archived