LegacyGT.com

Any way to display gauges(boost,afr etc) on a double din nav unit?

Moddiction

I am installing a double din nav unit soon. Either the pioneer 940bt or the z140bh unit. Probably the latter of the two.

I have a cobb AP already. I'm wondering if there is any unit I can buy that will allow me to display digital gauges on the nav units screen?

I really want to keep my car looking stock and don't want gauges all over the place. So a double din unit that I could select the video input to see them would be perfect.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

• 2 months later...

If you get a Pioneer unit that is AppRadio compatible, and you have an iPhone or Android phone, you may be able to use the Dashcommand app to display gauges. I have not done this, so can't confirm it'll work, but you can check out http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/AppRadio.

Not sure if the models you listed have appradio mode, but the newer versions of them do (X850BT, X950BH or Z150BH)

I have a GoPoint BT1, but I haven't been happy with response/refresh rate. I did what what jrprice suggested. I have an AVIC X920BT, AppRadio, and can display my iPod Touch screen on my double-DIN. The iPod is connected to the GoPoint via Bluetooth. I've displayed boost, but it doesn't respond like an actual gauge would. Lots of delay & slow refresh.
Tits mcgee

• 4 weeks later...

Too bad. I found this on a lotus forum. Seems to be a similar thing but if the quality and performance is no good it won't be much use for me!

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/app-radio-dashcommand-gopoint-bluetooth-obdii-117814/

I guess I'll just run no gauges and plug in the cobb AP if needed te trouble shoot etc.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Yep, that's what I was talking about. I don't have DashCommand, and I wasn't going to buy it if I couldn't get a satisfactory response rate from the GoPoint app.

OBDII --Bluetooth--> iPod Touch --hardwired--> Pioneer AVIC

AppRadio works OK, but it's the update rate that bugs me.

Tits mcgee

Only wanting something to connect to in dash unit. Doesn't look like that will be possible though. I guess I'll just connect the cobb AP ocassionally to check on things or if I notice something off.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Yeah thought of that but too much hassle. I just had hoped there was a cable to go from obd2 port to in dash unit but seems that is not the case.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Mac mini is great form factor but it sucks unless you're running windows on it. You can do that through boot camp though. PM mr if you'd like. I did my whole setup for under $300

Never been a fan of boot camp to run windows. I prefer Virtual Box. It is also free. https://www.virtualbox.org You can also run Linux through it. No rebooting, runs through a window.

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

Never been a fan of boot camp to run windows. I prefer Virtual Box. It is also free. https://www.virtualbox.org You can also run Linux through it. No rebooting, runs through a window.

Yes but if you want solid performance then it is useless. Especially in a car PC setup. Why would you want to have to manually boot to windows every time you start the car?

That's a fair point. Is there nothing else out there with small form factor which the Apple tax does not need to be paid though?

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

You could always run something like the HKS Camp 2 or a similar system (I think Blitz made a system too).

It's a gauge package with independent sensors a receiving unit but rather than sending the signal to set of gauges, it build a video signal to be displayed on a screen.

They're a great concept but I don't think they ever took off. They're a little pricey, usually around $500 for the base + $100 for whatever sensor you want to add (boost, oil pressure, oil temp ...). A Car PC can usually be built for a similar price point and offer a lot more (audio/video playback, navigation, web access ...).

Archived