LegacyGT.com

18x8 vs 18x8.5 SSR gt2

icelatte

I was going to get the 18x8 gt2 from tirerack but the 18x8.5 are actually $40 less expensive in silver. the offset for 18x8.5 is +48 so they should fit.

I'm going to run 225/40/18 either way so my question - is there any advantage in running 8.5 and save $40 a wheel or should I save 1.2 pounds per wheel and go with 8 in.

Thanks

Go wider on the tire if you're running 8.5" tires.

Are you talking about Integral GT2? Cause I couldn't find those on Tire-rack. Were you using a different vehicle?

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

you get a stiffer sidewall with the 8.5" and better footprint as well. The 8" saving some weight is really nothing like compared to going to a 17" rim anyways. for a 8" rim, you shoudl run a minimum of a 225/40/18, but if you are going with the 8.5", you better put on a 255/35/18 on them.

Keefe

Keefe

225/40 is noticably taller than stock. I just went to a 245/35 on an 8" wheel - from what Keefe told me, that's the limit on tire width that a stock suspension can take advantage of. From the wear on the outside edge of my tires....I am using all of it, but I have to really push the car to levels not fit for the street to get into the mechanical traction the tires provide (vs. the suspension alone).

This may come down to tire availability. I was going to buy the Kumho mx from tirerack as well, but they only have 225/40, no 245/35 or 255/35. Goodyear f1 and kdw 2 come in that size but I was planning on using these for track and autocross. So stickier tire or wider tire?

Maybe I should just stick with a 17 wheel and get the mx in 245/40.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. My wife thinks I'm spending too much time thinking about this. I think I agree and just want to start putting the rubber down.

you get a stiffer sidewall with the 8.5" and better footprint as well. The 8" saving some weight is really nothing like compared to going to a 17" rim anyways. for a 8" rim, you shoudl run a minimum of a 225/40/18, but if you are going with the 8.5", you better put on a 255/35/18 on them.

Keefe

Hey keefe....you mean to tell me that this wheel comes in 18X8.5 w/ a 48mm offset? how sweet! The chart says that the 18X8.5 w/ a 255 tire will be 26lbs....you drive an 18X8 w/ a 255...how does that affect the driving? and acceleration? Is it significantly slower? Would it be like driving stock when you have the AP installed? I mean is it that bad of lag on the car as far as weight goes....?

Hey keefe....you mean to tell me that this wheel comes in 18X8.5 w/ a 48mm offset? how sweet! The chart says that the 18X8.5 w/ a 255 tire will be 26lbs....you drive an 18X8 w/ a 255...how does that affect the driving? and acceleration? Is it significantly slower? Would it be like driving stock when you have the AP installed? I mean is it that bad of lag on the car as far as weight goes....?

yes, the wheel comes in 18x8.5 +48mm offset...

as far as your tire weight concerns, that is a ?? to me.

My current 18x8 with 255/35/18 feels very much so like my 17"x7.5" with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (stiff sidewalls).. the only difference is that the Toyo T1-S is not as grippy as the Falkens Azenis. The 17x7.5 really does feel a lot lighter than stock, but the 18x8 feels very close to stock characteristics.

I would say that even my 18x8 SSRs GT7s still feel like a stock 17x7 with the Potenza RE92s, but at least I have more grip and better rain traction than stock due to tire compounds differences.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived