LegacyGT.com

Kookookachew's '93 Legacy Project

I've been working on gathering parts for my 22T/205 hybrid for quite some time. But I've always wanted to boost my phase 1 22E. I have a couple sets of 22T heads, a 22t intake and exhaust mani w/catless uppipe, notched xmember, an SS 5mt w/3.90 VLSD, a few mbcs and a vf11 so almost everything I need for easy boost, lol. Only problem is my vf11 is still attached to the SS but I have a mint tdo4 and XT tmic to stick on one of these days and then it will be freed up. It should be a fun project to boost a 22E w/268k and see how long it lasts. Hopefully before it blows up I'll have my built 22T ready.

Stock psi on the first gen tleggys w/vf11 is only 8.7 so I'm sure you are having fun with 6 psi. I love how quickly they spool up. First gens are such fun sleepers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this thing is definitely a lot of fun, 6psi doesn't sound like much to most people, but 6psi and high compression is quite the blast. And haha the quick spool up is absoluteky amazing, just can't get over it. It spools years ahead of the VF40 in my LGT. And like I said, it doesn't feel a bit slower!

What I still can't understand is that when this car was N/A it burnt massive amounts of oil, we are talking a quart in under 1,000 miles bad. But since the turbo swap it doesn't burn a drop, I can rev the nuts off of it and no blue smoke at all, not even any black smoke from running to rich! The only thing I can think of is that now I'm running T6 instead of the cheap Dino, high mileage oil that was in it

Haha exactly! Thats the way to do it, I got my little L for next to nothing, and just went from there. Its taken a lot of work, but work I don't mind. And the more work I put in, for the most part the less money I spend. And btw, high-compression boost seems to be working great for me. Aside from notching the subframe and welding in an oil return into the pan, its been bolt on and go. More boost will require actual management but at 6psi this damn car is a whole new machine

So did you tap the heads for oil and just run a coolant line for the turbo? And a cheap fuel pressure regulator? Can't wait to try this out. :lol: One great thing about this type of swap is it is super easy to go back to stock, no wiring harness merge, and is pretty cheap if you have all the parts laying around. Did you just notch the xmember or did you weld in reinforcements (probably not necessary).

Bought a ~$25 kit off of eBay for oil feed, comes with stainless braided line and all of the fittings necessary to run from the oil press. sensor spot on the block to the turbo itself. Really nifty kit, and saved me alot of trips to the hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161000452824?item=161000452824&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Oil return was to the oil pan, can't run it to valve covers if you do alot of hard-cornering. (Oil sloshes up and can't drain out of turbo) Used some copper tubing bent to fit with short peices of the highest-heat hose Napa had to offer and a bung welded into the pan.

Coolant feed and return was to the heater-core lines. Coolant comes from pump, to turbo, from turbo into heater core, and then out of heater core back to motor again. Helps with getting heat faster too :p (I think)

As I said NO fuel/ignition mods at all. Running stock everything aside from a Walbro 255 which wont even be necessary until I up the boost and start demanding more fuel.

I did notch the subframe, but I cut some triangles out of the Auto tranny flexplate since I wasn't going to be needing that anymore :cool: , and welded those triangles in.

Well that is just freakin dandy..screw a compression build I have never touched a turbo but this is making me think differently. You have done some out of the box thinking, I like it..how long do you expect the build to last? I only ask because it just sounds to easy on a motor that wasn't built for the turbo application.

At 6psi, I expect it to last indefinitely. And no, I'm not kidding. Unless I have a mechanical failure of my fuel-pump or something screwy resulting in a lean-condition under full boost. It should run like this for as long or close to it, as it would have N/A.

My AF/Rs are perfect. Better than they are on my OEM Turbo LGT. Runs between 14.2 and 14.9 while cruising, and under full throttle maintains 11.1-12 (Starts at 12 at lower revs and RICHENS to 11.1) by redline. I went a full 3-steps colder for plugs and running top of the line NGK Iridiums to avoid knocking and detonation. And I've already put 1500 or so VERY hard miles on it and it runs perfectly, doesn't make a single strange noise, doesn't over-heat, doesn't burn oil. It sounds so nuts, but its just happy.

As I've read the 2.2 N/As share the same forged Rods as the 22T both have forged cranks, it may be open-deck, but that doesn't start playing a role until your talking big power, and so the only weak point are the pistons. However the 2.2N/A pistons have been proven time and time again to be able to hold 8-10 psi just fine with proper fuel and ignition control, I've even seen up to 12 on those who are brave and good with tuning. So 6 is a cake-walk.

I know the 22e well, I have rebuilt 1 and am going to be rebuilding another one come winter, probably somewhat like your are doing..I like what your saying about your turbo build on the e motor because of the bigger valves I thought with the higher c/r it would be beating the rod bearings to death. But you seem to be content so maybe ill try my first turbo build in my wagon.

Monkeyposeur got my wheels turning a few months ago and now your doing it again...just never knew it was this simple.

• 2 months later...

Updates updates updates....

Well, its been a couple more months since I last posted anything in here. Just like to start off by saying that this tough little Subaru is still running strong!!

I did have a bit of trouble with a speeding ticket :wub: and posted it up for sale, I had some great guys make me offers, but I got an offer on just the Racelands so I sold those instead of the whole car, I just couldn't do it, I like this car too much, and have put way to much time into it to sell it yet

So, the Racelands are gone, but a friend of mine gave me a set of older Megan Racing coil-overs. They are a bit crusty, and stuck at just under stock ride-height, but they aren't blown, and actually ride half-way decent.

It is still RWD, I did damage the stock 3.90 diff that was welded though... Gears are fine, but I snapped off a stub shaft. When I replaced the bad CV I never put in one of the ____ pins that keeps it from sliding back and forth, and when I was doing a very impressive 3rd-gear burnout, that I clutch-kicked my way into... It snapped off. So, I picked up some used rear axles from a GC Impreza and tossed in the back-up diff, the 4.11 VLSD I got from the same Foz I got the tranny from. Heres a pic of the damaged stub-shaft....

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/ClarksonSportsCarClub/Subaru%20stuff/IMG_1800_zps504a74ed.jpg

Once it started snowing in the north-country, I tossed the 14's back on, by no means are those tires good (Cheapest used things I could find to burn off) but they were certainly better than the tires on the BBS', which were smooth to the touch...

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/ClarksonSportsCarClub/Subaru%20stuff/IMG_1835_zpsd4b43f54.jpg

Then I took it home, and stored it for a couple of weeks anyway,

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/ClarksonSportsCarClub/Subaru%20stuff/IMG_1858_zpsbb999ce6.jpg

But then I broke 1st gear on my '06 LGT by bending the 1/2 fork in the first good snow storm... So the L is back out and on the prowl again as my winter vehicle until I can afford a good replacement or rebuild of the LGT's transmission.

Heres some pics: Started right up after sitting for a couple of weeks

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/ClarksonSportsCarClub/Subaru%20stuff/IMG_1957_zpsa137efc3.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/ClarksonSportsCarClub/Subaru%20stuff/IMG_1956_zps0652c829.jpg

So, I've been driving the L around for a bit now, and now that its going to be a daily, I've got some work to do... So far I've got the IACV issue figured out. Turns out the electronic unit on the valve IS different between the factory turbo and N/A Legacies. So, I just popped on the N/A electric unit onto the turbo IACV so it still clears the turbo. Now cold idle is no longer an issue.

I've got a Forester 5MT coming tomorrow that I got cheap so I can pop that in with some front CVs and have AWD again for the winter, and I've got 4 BIG snow tires to mount on the 14s.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/ClarksonSportsCarClub/Subaru%20stuff/IMG_1958_zps54c81c62.jpg

Other future plans are the fix the noisy rear wheel bearing, put in some newer manual seat-belts, and to get some cloth seats with more bolstering in, maybe heated?

Also, forgot to mention for anyone interested... After I swapped out the POS stock '02 WRX muffler with just a cheap 3A Racing garbage straight-through muffler I gained ALOT of boost... I don't exactly understand it, but I could never touch over 6lbs on waste-gate before, since then I've hit over 11! Although I can't exactly tell if its partially because of the colder weather, maybe a combination of the two? It doesn't seem right that either one would cause that much of a change... And I thought it was quick at 6? Holy crap at 11 its fantastic!!

I'll admit, the additional boost and colder weather make the AFRs very unhappy, so I'm hoping to pick up a PP6 from a friend and then I'll toss in the turbo injectors that I have and dial them down, and I'll also be able to dial the timing down as well so I don't blow this little 22E up...

Archived