LegacyGT.com

$1100 for Cat? Dealer responsible?

At the dealership right now. Car is running rich. Looking at $1100 bill.

Please share your thoughts.

2008 Legacy 2.5i

106K miles

Had a major engine service about 4 months ago and now check engine light is on. Noticed MPG drop right after engine work and told dealership twice. Argument was it is winter gas blend and just a coincidence. Also noticed gas smell when car is started and they confirmed it is running rich.

--------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Here is a the diagnostic that dealership gave me

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7723638/Diognostic%20Subaru.pdf

If you're arguing with them about this, why would you want them to fix it? They would/may fix it but screw you over by doing something else like pouring coolant in your oil or something. Just take it somewhere else that specializes in Subarus, no not another Subaru dealership 15 miles away, a independent shop. Just ask for your keys back and go elsewhere

If you're arguing with them about this, why would you want them to fix it?

I do not think that they will go that low. And i think I have a point that it is their responsibility.

But doing somewhere else, would it be cheaper? In case I lose the argument.

where are you spb?

Manchester, NH

I do not think that they will go that low. And i think I have a point that it is their responsibility.

But doing somewhere else, would it be cheaper? In case I lose the argument.

Manchester, NH

Dealership are not your friends, they will try to screw you over. Take it to an independent shop that specializes in Subaru and have them give you a second opinion.

Dealership are not your friends, they will try to screw you over. Take it to an independent shop that specializes in Subaru and have them give you a second opinion.
If I lose it here will definately take it for second opinion.

1) Any comments on the price? $1100 is typical?

2) Car running rich a failure in the engine (dealer says that there are no adjustments to make there, it is all computer controlled) or is it rich because the cat is not doing its job anymore?

Do not want to change the cat if it will be clogged again in 6months.

thanks for all replies guys!

Have they checked the 02 sensor?

yes. it is the O2 sensor after the cat that is throwing the check engine light.

they called corporate and are agreeing to a 50/50 split in price. So I am looking at $550-600 w/labor and one year warranty.

Here in PA we have done two recalls for start up emissions & overheated cat (PZEV). Is NH a PZEV state?

Because of this issue they warrantied the cat 100% to 100K. I know you are over, but my father-in-law got a full HG replacement no cost @ 66K on a '03 Legacy from SOA...

The unfortunate fact that our (the 2.5i crowd) cat is integrated into the exhaust manifold make that price not too outrageous. $1100 is still to high even if that number includes labor. I was quoted around $700 for a new cat when my car was having P0420 problems. but the dealer replaced it for free due to a recall or technical memo issued by SOA. IF you are out of warranty search online for a replacement before shelling out that money

If I lose it here will definately take it for second opinion.

1) Any comments on the price? $1100 is typical?

2) Car running rich a failure in the engine (dealer says that there are no adjustments to make there, it is all computer controlled) or is it rich because the cat is not doing its job anymore?

Do not want to change the cat if it will be clogged again in 6months.

thanks for all replies guys!

Also a rich condition could be due to a number of things: bad MAF, injector(s), O2 AFR sensor or cat.

Checking and replacing all those items would still be cheaper than a cat. I think the dealer take the wholesale approach to fixing these issues with our cars.

Did you buy your car in new hampshire, and have you always lived in new hampshire? Unfortunately, it looks like NH is the only new england state that does not have subaru's 15yr/150,000mi emissions warranty. I'm now wondering if I'm not eligible for the warranty either.. I bought my car at manchester subaru in 2009, even though I didn't live in new hampshire. I think as long as the vehicle is registered and operated in a qualifying state you should get the warranty.

As much as it stinks, I would probably take them up on the offer to cover half. It wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion though.

http://drive.subaru.com/fall07_news.aspx

I bought my legacy from a lady in Boston, MA. Originally I think the car was from Nebraska.

So the recall is not for all states? Strange.

Did you buy your car in new hampshire, and have you always lived in new hampshire?

Dealer offered 50/50 deal which brings it down to $550 for me. But I really want to see if I can push them with the recall thing. But I have two things against me: I am in NH and I am over 100K.

The unfortunate fact that our (the 2.5i crowd) cat is integrated into the exhaust manifold make that price not too outrageous. $1100 is still to high even if that number includes labor. I was quoted around $700 for a new cat when my car was having P0420 problems. but the dealer replaced it for free due to a recall or technical memo issued by SOA. IF you are out of warranty search online for a replacement before shelling out that money

Yeah, I did talk to the rep how sure he is about the cat being the culprit. He assured it is not the engine, pointing to the OBD printout.

Please see the original post for OBD scan. Enough info in there to rule out engine?

Would not bad MAF, injectors and O2 AFR throw out a check engine light as well?

Also a rich condition could be due to a number of things: bad MAF, injector(s), O2 AFR sensor or cat.

Checking and replacing all those items would still be cheaper than a cat. I think the dealer take the wholesale approach to fixing these issues with our cars.

I bought my legacy from a lady in Boston, MA. Originally I think the car was from Nebraska.

So the recall is not for all states? Strange.

Some states are Partial Zero Emissions Vehicles.

These cars had the cat burning ECU parameters.

You would have a really faded and/or peeling badge on the trunk if you are PZEV.

If you don't need it, just go catless.

$550 is still a lot and I think you can go elsewhere for 2/3 of that price as again, Dealerships charge a lot of $ for labor and parts

Go get a few other quotes first

Do I call SOA or find out somewhere else about cat warranty in my state (PA)? I keep reading 100k (which I'm over) and 150k which would be great. Taking her in tomorrow for my mechanic to change the upstream o2 AFR sensor and hoping it works. (I tried everything for an hour, no way to get a wrench in there. barely squeezed on 2 different sensor sockets)

Otherwise I'm hoping "EASTERN CATALYTIC Part # 40237" on RockAuto for $224 is the correct one. It looks identical to mine. Dealer said at least $800. Plus Labor your $1100 sound about right unfortunately.

Archived