LegacyGT.com

1990 Won't start

Okay so here is the deal. It's been running great for like 6 months. Then twice in the last month I killed the engine(it's a manual), and afterwards it took a while before I could get it to start. The engine would turn over, and every now and again start to ignite and then fail. It only happened after a killed the motor while getting into first gear. Every other time it would start great, and when running would run a drive normal. Then a week ago it just wouldn't start. Here is what I have checked:

-Pulled the hose at the fuel filter and turn the key on, and fuel came pouring out. Same with the return hose.

-Pull plugs 1-3 all had spark while grounded, while tried to start the engine.

-Pulled intake off at TB and sprayed starter fluid in the TB and tried to start it....nothing.

-Pulled the cam covers and both cam pulleys are in sync and there is compression when manually rotating the crank pulley.

-Sprayed the MAF sensor with cleaner.

-Propper oil level

-added HEAT to the fuel

There is no CEL on, and I haven't tried reading codes. Not even sure how on this car, I haven't looked into it. Am I missing something obvious? I don't think the timing belt slipped on the crank, because I feel like what ever is happening is related to the two other times it wouldn't start, and a slipped belt just wouldn't all of a sudden start working again. Weak spark? I just have no idea. Any thoughts would be great.

Okay, so the car just started. I have no idea. I don't know how many times I turned that think over with no results. But if finally start to sound like it wanted to kick in, so I worked it a bit more and it finally fired up, ran for a few seconds then dies. Connected the intake to TB and then it started immediately, and has been idling for 15 mins just fine. Beats me. 4 hours of testing for nothing. Oh well, at least it runs. Still curious what people think happened.

Archived