LegacyGT.com

Bad whining, car sounds like a hurt do when I give it gas

That's the only comparison I could think of lol... Sounded so much like a dogs yelp I looked over at the car next to me. It only started doing this after I logged a pull. And now when I'm past like 2k rpm and hit the accelerator it makes the noise, especially badly in 4th gear.

No changes to the car except added some oil (different brand but no way that should matter) and aired up my tires for the pull. I know it could be a few different things but any preliminary ideas? I'm going to check under the car in a minute (sounded like it was coming from lower down) and ill also get a video. Thanks all.

I hope that's all it is rather than a transmission bearing. I will remove the innacoola and check the t as well as any other lines I can find. The sound definitely could be the fast, high pitched chuffing of a boost leak.

EDIT: But would I be hearing the symptoms of boost leak even under 3k?

I hope that's all it is rather than a transmission bearing. I will remove the innacoola and check the t as well as any other lines I can find. The sound definitely could be the fast, high pitched chuffing of a boost leak.

EDIT: But would I be hearing the symptoms of boost leak even under 3k?

engine RPM has very little to do with how much boost the the turbo produces. boost is determined by how much load is placed on the engine. on your pull you were squeezing every ounce of boost out of the turbo because you were accellerating. you can hold rpm in any gear and as long as there is no increase in road speed the engine will be running in vacuum. if its a transmission whine, the pitch of the whine will increase proportionally to road speed and will be louder on hard accelleration. If its really bad, you will hear it on deceleration as well when left in gear. if its a boost leak noise, accellerating slowly will keep the boost low. if the noise is still heard, look into your transmission. if not, look for a boost leak.

hope this helped, ask me of something doesnt make sense, and good luck!

Everything looks ok under the ic no blown off hoses or obviously loose connections at least.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH72mX6Nju8]Whine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAAzMqXOWmw]Whine 2 - YouTube[/ame]

My transmission makes the EXACT same noise as in the first video. its been narrowed down to the sound of the front end final drive (differantial) Ive seen so many lgt's and sti's make this noise and none of them have ever broken. I changed the transmission fluid and there was next to no metal in it. I wouldnt say its "normal" but its not going to hurt anything driving around like that. My old 09 legacy se made the same noise too.

The second video sounds like a boost leak... Or the bypass valve flutterig open and closed on low boost. If memory serves, theres supposed to be a rubber gasket between the intercooler and bypass valve. Check that out, and make sure the plastic corrugated hose running from the bypass valve back to the intake is attached at both ends and has no tears in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived