LegacyGT.com

Cleaning Throttle Body

I have seen several posts where it is recommended to clean the throttle body, but can't find a good description on how this is done.

There has been reference to removing the intake manifold and wiping it out, and another saying to just remove the throttle body.

What is the best way to do this? It appears as though removing the throttle body is fairly simple, whereas the IM takes much more effort. What would you do to the Throttle body once it was off?

Any tips are appreciated.

First question is why ?

When I had my engine apart for the new short block. I removed the tgv's, intake and TB as a unit and left it alone. I did tighten the fuel line clamps but other than that I did not touch the TB.

I even left all the electrical connectors attached that didn't need to come off.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you want to wipe the opening with a clean towel, go ahead. But I wouldn't be playing with it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

Hahahahahaha. You must be kidding.

Its been in to 3 mechanics, including the Stealership.

Oh no code, no problem. They are more than willing to charge me $110 an hour plus parts to randomly change things but after just spending $10k on this POS its not going back to Subaru unless there is something easily diagnosable. I am not paying $110 per hour for somebody to fumble around trying the same things I can try at home.

Did you clean your MAF sensor yet? I'd try that before trying to clean the throttle body.

While you're at it, what else have you tried? There are lots of causes of a rough idle from vacuum leaks to cracked pistons. My rough idle turned out to be caused by bad valve clearances.

Archived