LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

• Moderators
Gotta get one of those new instant water heaters. They are tankless and heat the water on the spot. My 55 gallon has let me down the past two weekends.

:lol: That's crazy. We just upgraded to a 60gal last year to accommodate the renters in our basement--four adults getting ready for work around the same time and the original water heater was old and small. I did some research on the tankless heaters and wasn't sold on them...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol: That's crazy. We just upgraded to a 60gal last year to accommodate the renters in our basement--four adults getting ready for work around the same time and the original water heater was old and small. I did some research on the tankless heaters and wasn't sold on them...

We like hot water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!??????! lol

What was it that that didn't sell them to you? I do not have one yet but have been thinking of switching.

• Moderators

It seemed to me that it would take way to long to ever realize any cost savings for one. The biggest reason though was inconsistent reports on their performance--many / all still seem to suffer from bouts of hot/cold water, lack true "instant" hot water, etc. I think they still have a ways to go before they can be a true replacement for a tank-style heater, especially a newer/larger model that is also fairly energy efficient.

Just my opinion, certainly do your own research as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^^That is what I found as well. We have a very long run from the WH to the showers and a tankless would have made it even longer. My parents put a tankless in several years ago and the few times I have stayed there I never seem to get hot water and then when I do, the flow sensor is so sensative that when I try to turn it down, it shuts off completely, so cold, hot, cold, hot. You have to turn it on full hot to get it going and then go in little steps and wait between them to get it down to a good temp. So frustrating.

But on the other hand, if it is adjusted properly or isn't over sensative, like the one at my wife's last house when I first met her, we could take hot showers together.... forever. ;)

It seemed to me that it would take way to long to ever realize any cost savings for one. The biggest reason though was inconsistent reports on their performance--many / all still seem to suffer from bouts of hot/cold water, lack true "instant" hot water, etc. I think they still have a ways to go before they can be a true replacement for a tank-style heater, especially a newer/larger model that is also fairly energy efficient.

Just my opinion, certainly do your own research as well.

I have been doing research. I agree that the cost savings isn't really there because they cost more initially. I was more so looking into them so I wouldn't run out of hot water. I, like you have read reviews of people complaining about the water not being warm instantly. Which is a given, it takes more than 1 mississippi to heat water no matter what companies say. Some of the higher end ones seem to get better reviews but for $1500-1900 bucks you could get 3 or so conventional water heaters.

Anyway back to being a parent. If I kick these kids out my 55 gallon would be more than enough.

i have 2 girls and a boy, all in their teens. the food he can eat is astounding. i dont recall ever being able to eat that much, and im a fat guy that loves food. problem is, he takes just as long with showers as the girls do, which is torture when i want to get them all out of the house to go somewhere. thats also why i put a 80gal water heater in my house, so we can run two showers, the dishwasher and washing machine all at the same time lol

Went this route initially, but didn't like the idea of "storing" heated water when there was no reason too.

Gotta get one of those new instant water heaters. They are tankless and heat the water on the spot. My 55 gallon has let me down the past two weekends.

We learned about this in Japan and finally went "duh" why didn't we think of this sooner - sourced an appropriately-sized Rinnai tankless heater solution and never looked back. Our savings were instant, and no matter what the demand, we never came close to running out of hot water. No more luke-warm, cool, or shudder, cold water anything. ;)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Almost baby time. We have a c-section scheduled for Friday at 7AM. Have to be at the hospital at 5AM. Ugh.

This is going to be a whole different experience than the last one. I'm not sure what to expect actually having a newborn in the room with us instead of in the NICU.

Almost baby time. We have a c-section scheduled for Friday at 7AM. Have to be at the hospital at 5AM. Ugh.

This is going to be a whole different experience than the last one. I'm not sure what to expect actually having a newborn in the room with us instead of in the NICU.

Congrats and good luck!

Are you sure the baby will be in the nicu afterwards?

It's all good if it is, as the level of care you get that way is amazing... And allows you to bank a couple more nights of sleep!!!

My wife had a c section a week earlier than scheduled. In addition, our little guy spent every day/night in the nicu. The nicu staff is amazing!!!

The first night we had alone with him, was our first night home. Scary lol.

• I Donated Too

Best of luck bro. And congrats in advance!

Congrats and good luck!

Are you sure the baby will be in the nicu afterwards?

It's all good if it is, as the level of care you get that way is amazing... And allows you to bank a couple more nights of sleep!!!

My wife had a c section a week earlier than scheduled. In addition, our little guy spent every day/night in the nicu. The nicu staff is amazing!!!

The first night we had alone with him, was our first night home. Scary lol.

No, the last one went straight to the nicu. Not having the baby on lay-a-way is going to be a totally different experience :)

We like hot water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!??????! lol

What was it that that didn't sell them to you? I do not have one yet but have been thinking of switching.

my ex inlaws put one of those in a couple years ago. they have had issues every couple months with their system, had most of it replaced and worked on regularly and many hours tuning the temp to get it to work right. mebbe the installer/ company just sucks, but it doesnt give me a warm fuzzy about it. my 80gal will give hot (lie 140 deg) water in about 10 seconds in the farthest bathroom from it in the winter, so im not too worried about switching. its also in an easily accessible place, so even changing it it easy enough.

We got one, and it is anything but instant.

Keep in mind that hot water still has to travel through pipes and warm them up. You'll get hot water fastest the closest you are to the heater, obviously. For us it still takes about 30 seconds for the water to start feeling warm and then about at the minute mark for it to start feeling hot. These are minimums. In the kitchen, the farthest point, takes a minute at least.

Depending on the brand, I think, the heater may only go up to 120 degrees. If you want hotter you'll have to request the installer to enable the higher settings and if I remember correctly may affect your warranty. Either way these things last for years, you never run out of hot water, are super efficient and we were using these for years already in my homecountry, it was a total shock to us to see people use tank heaters. It's one of those things "America was supposed to be advanced and yet they use stuff we ditched many years ago".

But I get that it's a hard sell given the steep initial price.

Ours came with the house, brand new. The other nice thing is it is installed on the outside of the house so there is zero risk of leaks, etc.

All that being said, we've been wanting to convert to one for a long time and we wouldn't have anything else at this point. It works great, very efficient, maintenance free, will outlast a tank heater by many years. Have never had an issue with it. If anyone has ongoing problems, it's not the system. It even has a panel mounted on the wall and we can shut it off with the press of a button when we know we are not going to use. Pilot light will be off along with everything else and the usage is effectively zero. Can't do that with a tank heater unless you wanna wait around for it to get warmed up when you come back from vacation.

Edited by fishbone

I would be concerned about the cost of ownership in the sense that ... are there a lot of companies that can do maintenance and repair for a reasonable price, or is it one of those things that is in very limited use for personal use and you gotta call a company that contracts out with hospitals, military bases etc and will therefore charge an insane amount for the service call?

We had a baby girl on Friday. Left the house at 4:30 in the morning for a 7AM c-section and by 9:30 had a 5 lb 14 oz 19 3/4" bundle of joy. If it hadn't been for the nurses checking on either my wife or the baby every hour, we could have probably slept a little. Oh, and of course there was a neighbor who removed the baby lo-jack 4 times, resulting in a "code pink" that set off alarms and shut down the entire floor.

Saturday started off good....my 2 year old daughter came to visit and acted great. Interested in the baby, but not too interested, she gave her little sister a gentle kiss and otherwise walked around the room opening and closing drawers.

After they left we started having some issues though. My wife was kangarooing with the baby when she started having breathing difficulties and turning purple. We paged the nurse--in the middle of a code pink alarm--and they carted her off to the observation room.

The next 45 minutes was unbelievably long. We figured it was something simple, like formula went down the wrong pipe or something, but when the nurse practitioner came in without her we knew something was bad. This was the same NP who had worked with us 2 years ago, and she gave us some high level possible causes--ranging from an infection to a heart issue. At this point my wife is in tears, and the the NP starts crying. Not exactly what team CL21376 needed.

About an hour later we got down the NICU and talked to the neonatologist. Being born at 37 weeks, her lungs were not fully formed so a tear developed, leaking air into her chest cavity and subsequently collapsing her lung. Since my wife had tested strep B positive, there was also a chance she had an infection.

It's terrible to see your baby all hooked up to machines, sedated, and unable to be held. She is on a c-pap and had to have a pig tail inserted into her chest to pump out the air.

Leaving the hospital yesterday without our baby--again--and seeing my wife, deprived again of holding our baby totally breaks my heart :o(

So, instead of taking this week off, I'm going back to work and will wait for us to bring the baby home. In the mean time we will commute to and from the NICU. With a little luck all the tubes will be out tomorrow and my wife can at least hold her. We might be able to bring her home this weekend.

All that being said....this is just a bump in the road. There are a lot of people that have to go through far worse than us. In some ways, this is more difficult on us than her, as she wont remember a thing. Trying to keep this in that perspective is helping us see the light at the end of the tunnel.

babyEvan.jpg.c7062d825e02d0c33a52d284e40e5e63.jpg

Congratulations to you and to Mrs. CL21376. And man - I do feel for you. Will remember to pray for your littlest one and for you all as well.

As you said, she won't remember any of it which is a blessing. That does help to put and keep things in the long-term perspective .

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

grats on the new spawn! hope she gets healthy quickly.

mine let me know last night she is moving out with her BFF. sigh, im not ready for that yet. her sister is OK with it, she will have her own room and all of the closet space lol

grats on the new spawn! hope she gets healthy quickly.

mine let me know last night she is moving out with her BFF. sigh, im not ready for that yet. her sister is OK with it, she will have her own room and all of the closet space lol

Ruh roh.... how old is she?