LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

<--

Took a year and a half and a second college to focus on grades.

A college friend was 4 years older than me and had flunked out at his first attempt at college. Then he worked for several years and came back at 25 as a mathematics major. Had fun and studied and had straight A's. He learned.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She announces today that since 9/18 is her 18th, she's getting a tattoo on Friday. Now mind you, it's a tasteful tattoo - have you read the Harry Potter hard covers? Between each chapter, the three stars? on the top of her foot. Her dad (cute boy) and I are both tatted, so I don't think we can complain... and really, how tasteful are three little stars on the top of her foot (IE, easily hidden)... but still. My little girl getting ink for life. MMMMmmmmmm.

She announces today that since 9/18 is her 18th, she's getting a tattoo on Friday. Now mind you, it's a tasteful tattoo - have you read the Harry Potter hard covers? Between each chapter, the three stars? on the top of her foot. Her dad (cute boy) and I are both tatted, so I don't think we can complain... and really, how tasteful are three little stars on the top of her foot (IE, easily hidden)... but still. My little girl getting ink for life. MMMMmmmmmm.

I still remember the day I showed my mom my tat. :)

Took my son to his first Tiger Scout outing yesterday. We went to a place called Ayers Gap here in CT. It was a nice little hike up to a tiny waterfall where all the kids then had a snack. The scout leader decided that it would be fun to follow the stream back to the trail head. About 5 minutes into the hike back all hell broke loose. One of the kids inadvertently stepped on a yellow jacket hive that was inside a log. Panic ensued for the next 15-20 minutes. My son and I were stung 3 times each. Many of the other children got multiple stings as well. Not one of the pack leaders had a first aid kit. I include myself in that list. Lesson to be learned here is to stay on the marked trails. Also bring a first aid kit. Don't expect others to be the responsible ones. I stopped and got some meds on the way back. No swelling, just a little pain and itching. Again, this was our first father/son scouting adventure. Hope he isn't traumatized by the event. I may have caused more damage to him than the bees, the way I was swatting at them.

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

Took my son to his first Tiger Scout outing yesterday. We went to a place called Ayers Gap here in CT. It was a nice little hike up to a tiny waterfall where all the kids then had a snack. The scout leader decided that it would be fun to follow the stream back to the trail head. About 5 minutes into the hike back all hell broke loose. One of the kids inadvertently stepped on a yellow jacket hive that was inside a log. Panic ensued for the next 15-20 minutes. My son and I were stung 3 times each. Many of the other children got multiple stings as well. Not one of the pack leaders had a first aid kit. I include myself in that list. Lesson to be learned here is to stay on the marked trails. Also bring a first aid kit. Don't expect others to be the responsible ones. I stopped and got some meds on the way back. No swelling, just a little pain and itching. Again, this was our first father/son scouting adventure. Hope he isn't traumatized by the event. I may have caused more damage to him than the bees, the way I was swatting at them.

Oh no!!!!! Well, lesson learned, for sure! I hope you are all OK.

Oh no!!!!! Well, lesson learned, for sure! I hope you are all OK.

Yes. All is well. My son is better off today than me. His stings don't itch. I have the Cortizone next to me. Itching like crazy.

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

Ugh... shared parenting sucks the big one. I was supposed to pick up my daughter today after work, but since she's sick my ex is giving me a hard time about it. We avoided going to court over custody because we've been able to share pretty well so far, but it's gotten progressively more difficult to deal with her. The stress from all of this is overwhelming.

You're fortunate. Yellow Jackets don't leave their stinger so the pain/itch will be localized. Had they left the stinger, like a honey bee would, then you'd run the risk of infection in that area. And yeah, lesson-learned. Scout Motto - "Be Prepared". Glad it worked out.

I kicked right through the center of a huge white-faced, black hornets nests one time in a blueberry field. Buried in one of the bushes. Didn't see it, and didn't even realize I'd done it until I heard the angry buzzing, looked down and saw my entire right leg covered from crotch to foot with hornets. Fortunately, I was wearing blue jeans and boots or I'd have been done for. I was about a 1/2 mile from the house, but my mom heard me yelling as I did the only thing I could think to do - run and stomp as hard and as fast as I could all the way home. Not one sting and they followed me for at least a 1/4 mile of that run. Must have looked like a crazy kid. :lol: Good times.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

thats my ex wife bday.

my oldest went the day of her 18th bday to get her first tattoo. her mom and i both have tattoos, so i wasnt against it. i actually took her and paid for it. i also made sure it was a shop ii trusted (friend owns it) and that she was taken care of. her mom is against her having tattoos (ironic, lol) and is always negative about it. so, daughter doesnt even tell her about them anymore. i worry that she is getting frivolous with it, and tossing money away that she really needs to put towards other things. she knows how i feel, and seems to be tempering her spending accordingly. her mom and my mom were not amused with her latest one, a nicely done flower on her wrist. i keep trying to get her to realize that corporate america doesnt agree with her sentiments about tattoos, i hope she doesnt hurt her chances at any jobs she may want and cant get due to tattoos.

my son got through his ear surgery well, but the sucky part is there was a lot of inner ear damage, so he has to go back for some more reconstruction. sucks. poor guy was in pain for a week and they wouldnt give anything better than T3 for it.

Ugh... shared parenting sucks the big one. I was supposed to pick up my daughter today after work, but since she's sick my ex is giving me a hard time about it. We avoided going to court over custody because we've been able to share pretty well so far, but it's gotten progressively more difficult to deal with her. The stress from all of this is overwhelming.

gotta get the terms in writing ASAP so she cant change things on the fly. i made sure i had custody laid out in the divorce, with verbage that we can discuss and agree to changes outside of court if needed. i have sole physical custody and we share legal custody. shes never actually followed through with her "threats" to go after more custody time with them. probably because i also submitted the child support paperwork which shows she would owe me a ton of cash a month, but waived it. that can change at any time too, the judge was surprised i waived it, asked me 4 times if i wanted to reconsider.

I was proud of my 10 yr old daughter today. We're on vacation and went to a place with some friends and their kids that had a one and two story rope obstacle course that you had to walk across. It had safety lines so you couldn't fall. My friend's kids are all fearless but my daughter is afraid of heights. But her friends were trying it so she decided to. Got to the starting point about 15' up and she just froze and started crying, too afraid to try it despite offers of help from the workers. She came down and was upset for not being brave enough like her friends. After a while she wanted to try it again so I went up with her. She was terrified but really wanted to try it. Unfortunately, she froze again and ended up not doing it, but I was still proud of her for being willing to confront her fears like that.

I tried it. I never thought I was nervous about heights, but after a few of the two story obstacles, I had enough. I did NOT enjoy it. :lol:

Parent's weekend starting Friday. Can't wait to hug my girl! So far, she's getting all A's. She said today her anxiety is starting to creep back in again, which worries us. She did say she'd be on it, and quick to head to the counseling office if it gets worse. So looking forward to a Boone weekend!

Her roommate invited a boy to stay for a couple of days (boy of the week, not boyfriend from home). My kid decides to bunk elsewhere. Roommate and boy smoke some weed in the room - whole floor reeks. Someone calls cops and now police have searched room and are questioning roommate. God I wanna hug my kid right now.

College kids these days are slacking. Get a toilet paper tube and some dryer sheets and make yourself a filter. Stupid kids, but I guess that is what college is for. To learn things like that. Edited by 05GT Guru