LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

50 rules for dads of daughters.

http://lifetoheryears.com/50rules

Some good stuff in there:

1. Love her mom. Treat her mother with respect, honor, and a big heaping spoonful of public displays of affection. When she grows up, the odds are good she’ll fall in love with and marry someone who treats her much like you treated her mother. Good or bad, that’s just the way it is. I’d prefer good.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it makes you feel any better, one of my best friends started dating a girl when she was 17, about to go into her senior year of high school, and he was 22, with another year or so of college. They're still together now, about 3 years later, and a pretty good couple. Her parents love him, she's a real sweetheart, and he's treats her very well - he took her on a nice, ~10 day tropical vacation this past winter.

the type of person is what really matters in that. i dont see this guy as being... quality. hes a drunk, kind of a dick and has a history with drugs. ive known him since he was 13 or so, theres a reason we havent seen or talked to him for the last 3 or so years.

Just decided that the last two days before we take her to college, I'm at least 'working from home' (I do have several webinar training classes scheduled, that can be done from home), or just not working. Who was I kidding???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

hang in there, i bet she will be calling you more now that she wont be seeing you everyday. i have come to love the random phone calls for no reason when mine are at their moms for the weekend.

my oldest got her 3rd tattoo yesterday. a nicely done flower on her wrist in the birth stone colors of her siblings, hers and mine. oh and her moms too. i tried to talk her out of the wrist location, but she was adamant.

How old is she? Mine just asked friends if someone would draw one for her. She'll be 18 in September. I have a sneaky suspicion she'll be getting one for herself as a birthday gift. I just hope it's not ginormous.

This is the parenthood thread, so I'm not going to apologize too much. Holy hell, I'm a hot f'ing mess. I promise to not post too much in the next 10 days, but this is way worse than I thought, and I got nowhere else to go to vent. Disregard as necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

How old is she? Mine just asked friends if someone would draw one for her. She'll be 18 in September. I have a sneaky suspicion she'll be getting one for herself as a birthday gift. I just hope it's not ginormous.

shes almost 19. i got her first tattoo done for her 18th bday, i figured since she would have done it regardless, id get her in touch with a friend that i trust and owns his own shop so i know she was at least taken care of. turns out she has done a ton of advertising and word of mouth referrals to his shops, so we are getting great pricing. he is also helping me direct my other daughter in the right directions for learning how to be a tattoo artist. shes 16 and has the talent, now we just need to get her to understand the rest of the business.

Took my kid to his first NASCAR short track race last night. I showed him youtube videos of Raceway Park earlier in the morning and casually asked if he'd like to check it out. I neglected to mention I meant like, tonight.

He had no idea where we were going until we got right outside the park and he heard the cars on track. THEN the eyes got huge and he managed to squeak out, "WE GET TO WATCH A REAL RACE?!?!" (I've taken him to a bunch of car 'events' so far and he's always bummed the "race cars" never race.)

At one point they were offering kids rides in the "racing school buses" which amounted to a parade lap around the figure 8 and a "tour" of the pits from the bus. He needed a little prodding. Problem is, they had so many kids that by the time we got down there all four buses were packed. Naturally this meant they had to bring out some stock race cars and load kids in those too. Sometimes it pays to be lazy... :cool:

So yeah, on top of already being ON THE FIELD at the new Twin's stadium I've never even been inside, my kid has now also been in a @#!$ing race car, on a race track, before his old man. :mad:

Preeeettty sure he's hooked based on the earful the Mrs. got this morning. Highly recommend checking out the local NASCAR short tracks in your area if you haven't. WAY more kid-friendly than I realized. We'll be doing that again, probably next weekend.

Edited by SurlyOldManMN

Um you are likely the coolest dad/parent on this forum. I think the best I managed was to teach her to use a clutch. I'm glad for that, but she doesn't have the 'go fast bug' at all. :(

Role reversal... Lol

That means she has to text till she falls asleep, and you're crimpin' her style.

From the parents I talked to about your dilemma, the first few days SUCK... However, it gets better. She'll love you even more every time she comes home :)

After work today I'm sitting on the couch ,enjoying a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. My two year old walks up, points and the bottle and says "dada milk"

I repeat "dada milk, cheers" and toast her sippy cup full of milk. She responds "cheers" and lifts up her sippy cup of milk to toast. She repeated that exchange like 10 times, running all around the room pounding back almost the whole cup of milk and finishing with "ahhhhhhhhh" :lol::lol:

Second day post surgery for my little guy. Yesterday was rough with him begin nauseous from the anesthesia. Today was much better he was sitting up and wanting to walk around. Too bad he has an IV in his ankle so he can't walk around yet :(. 4th major surgery for him since he was born.

Second day post surgery for my little guy. Yesterday was rough with him begin nauseous from the anesthesia. Today was much better he was sitting up and wanting to walk around. Too bad he has an IV in his ankle so he can't walk around yet :(. 4th major surgery for him since he was born.

Oh man what is the surgery for?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

He's got severe obstructive sleep apnea. They already removed his tonsils and adenoids and it didn't help. So they scoped his airways and found that he has a very floppy trachea that was being compressed on one side by his innominate aorta. The surgery was to pull his aorta off his trachea in hopes that it will relieve some of the pressure and his trachea won't collapse when he is in deep sleep.

Reading this thread I think its Exactly the kind of parental outlet I need. You guys are awesome. I have perused boards at parenting websites and they are full of judgmental I raise my kids better than you fools that I have no Interest or patience for. You all are awesome. Laid back and supportive.

I'm the dad of a 9 month old and I'm also a family doc. Its a bit isolating because I'm a so called medical expert. Sure I have medical knowledge in spades but parenting is a different animal.

Anyway this is my favorite thread on the boards. I'm going to participate and online I never tell people of my medical background. I dont want a pm of a rash. But I get the feeling that would not be an issue here.

Cheers y'all and good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Semper ubi sub ubi