LegacyGT.com

She Won't Budge

My 1997 Subaru Legacy L, (whom I lovingly refer to as "Serenity") won't move. She starts fine but when I hit the gas she just lurches forward a bit and stalls out when I take my foot off the clutch. And smoke rises from the engine if I try to get her going more than once.

My theory is that one of the brake calipers is frozen, but I'm far from knowledgeable in this field and would like a second opinion before working on her. The calipers do look a mite rusty, and the rotors ain't looking to hot either.

Some preexisting issues that may or may not have anything to do with it include:

Check Engine light is on, allegedly due to IAC valve malfunction

Parking Brake light comes on every once in awhile, for reasons I have yet to understand

so to help figure out what is wrong, jack up each wheel and try to turn it by hand. you will figure out which wheel is stuck pretty quickly.

or that none are, completely different problem.

when jacking up the front wheels, have the parking brak on and the trans in neutral.

when jacking the rear, put blocks around the front tires.

let us know what you learn?

Very good practices when jacking up a car.

NEVER EVER is it "safe" to get under a vehicle nor trust the jack stands.

And be sure youre putting it on jackstands and not just the jack.

Also, DO NOT attempt to run the vehicle with any wheel on the ground..

Not insulting your intelligence, just want you keep kickin and learn more about your Leggy.

Just thought: you would know if I were something like sync because you wouldn't get it into tht gear.

So disregard my reply unless it won't go into first etc... Sey

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

If you find the problem to be the clutch the replace it as a clutch kit. You get the clutch disc, pressure plate and the throw out bearing. It's best to have the flywheel machined so the new clutch breaks in good and the flywheels old surface could not be suitable for a new disc.

I trust jack stands, good ones at least. It's the actual jack that would concern me. There's not a problem running the car with ALL FOUR wheels off the ground. I've done this tons of times, no problems ever happened. I would just caution to whomever attempts this to have the jack stands in a strong location and prostitution the stands so they don't have a chance to slip or move.

One of my cars is a 1990 XJ6 and it is a heavy beast, although not as heavy as the 1985 Series III I once owned. It depends on what I am doing but I never get under the car without jack stands. Sometimes I will keep the jack engaged with the stands and sometimes I also lay the tire under the running boards.

The Subbie may not be as heavy but it will still kill ya. I don't think you meant that we can never get under a car --- even with jack stands. I think?

I always have trust issues with being under a car with jack and stands. I even leave the jack up. Once I'm under its all good and I get comfortable.

what is the purpose of jackstands if you cant get under the car? :spin:

Lemme rephrase, never TRUST them. You can use them and respect them as with a heavy load bearing object. Proper use wont see any problematic results.

I do load testing for a living and have to get under things, that are under an excess of 150,000 lbs. The second you get cocky with your confidence that's when you get into danger.

One of the first lessons in ironworker union handbook.

Does that make sense?

I trust jack stands, good ones at least. It's the actual jack that would concern me. There's not a problem running the car with ALL FOUR wheels off the ground. I've done this tons of times, no problems ever happened. I would just caution to whomever attempts this to have the jack stands in a strong location and prostitution the stands so they don't have a chance to slip or move.

Like I said, its just using your head.

Archived