LegacyGT.com

Intermittent Misfire

I have a 05 2.5 that has had an intermittent misfire since we bought it. It will start off with slight stumbling (like a hiccup, barely noticeable if you aren't paying attention) at low speeds when you go to give it a bit of gas (like in traffic) and run like that for about a week. Then, one day it will stumble heavily at wot, check engine light will flash. Let of the gas, light goes out and runs fine. The next day, cel will illuminate with a misfire code, always 1 cylinder (not sure if it is the same one, will have more info in a little while) but will still run fine. 2-3 days later it will run like crap. Poor acceleration, no power, hesitating like mad. Clear the computer, car runs great and the cycle starts again. No other codes. This happens over the course of 2-3 weeks, driving ~100 miles 6 days a week. I have replaced the air filter, plugs and wires. MAF sensor was also cleaned. The air filter was clogged with a ton of crud as well.A used throttle body (and sensors) was put on by a body shop because it decided to do its final performance when they tried to move it and they found leaves and such gunking it up. I was going to check compression, spark and change the fuel filter but otherwise I am at a loss. We bought the car with 96k on it in August...now has 106k. I know the timing set it up for replacement, waiting on the tax return to buy the kit... could that be the problem? It has done this since we bought it. It was the classical 1000 miles out of warranty it started acting up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

How would I check the cat? Physically, it looks good, no damage or discoloration. Engine doesn't seem to be 'choking'. Aside from the stumble, at wot it is pretty responsive....especially if I manually shift it. I have not pulled the o2 sensors to test them (don't have a proper scanner to monitor it in the car). Just got back from having the code pulled and the problem seems to be settling in cyl 2. The car is currently thawing in the garage and I will start tinkering in a little while.

hmm

Ive got exactly the same problem with my 3.0. intermitant on and off CEL and disabled flashing cruise light. Got the codes scanned saying Misfire 1,3,5 cylinder (drivers side bank, australian, so right hand of car)

Ive changed spark plugs, swaped coil packs, checked O2 sensors.

My mechanic is at a loss. would i swap injectors? Im just dealing with it comming on, then going away after a day or two, then few days break and then it come back on and clears itself.

How would I check the cat? Physically, it looks good, no damage or discoloration. Engine doesn't seem to be 'choking'. Aside from the stumble, at wot it is pretty responsive....especially if I manually shift it. I have not pulled the o2 sensors to test them (don't have a proper scanner to monitor it in the car). Just got back from having the code pulled and the problem seems to be settling in cyl 2. The car is currently thawing in the garage and I will start tinkering in a little while.

Well to the check the cat you would have to remove it or disconnect one end and visually inspect for clogs/deterioration. Seems like that isnt the case as you are misfire codes to start. Have you checked the injectors ?

Well, as it turns out one of the plug wires had backed itself off the plug. Space was a little tight for the #2 wire and I guess I hadn't seated properly. You could see evidence of arcing. I was about to play with the injectors when I found the loose wire. I've been driving the car all week while my wife is away and seems to be behaving well. I guess only time will tell if it's solved permanently. Thanks!

Archived