LegacyGT.com

Noise during acceleration

My 2005 legacy n/a has been making a strange noise during acceleration starting at about 3000 rpm til about 4000 and stopping and does not make the noise during any other range. I guess what i'm asking is if this is a common problem or just something i shouldn't worry about.

I had this issue with my 06 except it was much more noticeable if I did a quick rev of the engine up to about 2000 rpms. In my case, it was the heat shielding by the exhaust manifold like legacyshawn mentioned. I took the heat shields off for now but I know that I could take it somewhere to have the shields spot welded to correct it. Whoever was the first owner of my car apparently plowed over something at some point as the shields, and some other parts, are dented and scraped pretty bad.

Legacyshawn, it does sound like a rattling noise. ALhockeyguy, did it only happen when you did quick revs or was it noticeable all the time under acceleration? Also if it were to be the heat shield have you had any problems since removing it?

Legacyshawn, it does sound like a rattling noise. ALhockeyguy, did it only happen when you did quick revs or was it noticeable all the time under acceleration? Also if it were to be the heat shield have you had any problems since removing it?

I would notice it when I would accelerate until the car was warmed up some. Mainly high end of 1st gear and low to mid rang of second. I'm sure removing the heat shield isn't ideal but no, I haven't had problems so far. I only removed a portion of the shielding but I'll be taking some more off this weekend. I should mention that I'll be having some exhaust work done soon anyway so this solution isn't long-term.

The 2.5i might not be the most athletic car but i'd much rather have it than a Pontiac or something else, I enjoy having a car that you don't see everyday, atleast where I live.

I had a GA GT once upon a time that LD9 was decent @149 hp :)

My 2005 legacy n/a has been making a strange noise during acceleration starting at about 3000 rpm til about 4000 and stopping and does not make the noise during any other range. I guess what i'm asking is if this is a common problem or just something i shouldn't worry about.

Wait a minute you need to get MORE detail every car makes noises, these cars makes dozens of them even when new ;) Is it a helicopter, ping, clunk, chirp etc ? Is it coming from the rear, trans tunnel, engine bay etc ? Any lights? Any decreased performance (not that you have performance to start with)?

If its a rattle like washers around bolt type sound probably the heat shield around the mid-pipe or manifold itself. If its that helicopter sound that is just the nature of the car it can be fixed. If it is a whining could be a pulley or accessory failing.

Got a video? :wub:

I had a GA GT once upon a time that LD9 was decent @149 hp :)

@GEE-OTTO

You seem to be the person whose threads I read the most since it appears you're doing some in-depth stuff that I have neither the time nor mental capacity to do, lol. That said, I was reading through a Subaru repair manual (not Haynes, Chilton, etc.) and it mentioned turning off the symmetrical AWD by placing a fuse in the slot marked FWD. It doesn't explain why this would be necessary so I would curious if you've ever read that. Wouldn't it just be more stress on the front end from having to compensate?

If we need to move this to another thread, let me know.

I would notice it when I would accelerate until the car was warmed up some. Mainly high end of 1st gear and low to mid rang of second. I'm sure removing the heat shield isn't ideal but no, I haven't had problems so far. I only removed a portion of the shielding but I'll be taking some more off this weekend. I should mention that I'll be having some exhaust work done soon anyway so this solution isn't long-term.

That sounds quite familiar to me. Usually after I have been driving for a while I no longer get the noise from it. I have been noticing I get a slight noise during the lower rpm range while the engine is still cold. My legacy also has 206k on it I should also mention. If it is just a heat shield rattling I could just live with the occasional noises it makes I just don't want to ignore something. I feel almost as though I am a parent worrying about my child.

Wait a minute you need to get MORE detail every car makes noises, these cars makes dozens of them even when new ;) Is it a helicopter, ping, clunk, chirp etc ? Is it coming from the rear, trans tunnel, engine bay etc ? Any lights? Any decreased performance (not that you have performance to start with)?

If its a rattle like washers around bolt type sound probably the heat shield around the mid-pipe or manifold itself. If its that helicopter sound that is just the nature of the car it can be fixed. If it is a whining could be a pulley or accessory failing.

Got a video? :wub:

I will be sure to take a video when I get in the car a little later, I can probably post it today or tomorrow. I haven't had decreased performance, and the belts and pulleys were changed when I got the timing belt done 4k ago. The noise seems to be coming from the engine bay. No lights have come on. It's just one of the few noises that my car makes(wheel bearing, blower motor going, that boxer rumble ;) )

@GEE-OTTO

You seem to be the person whose threads I read the most since it appears you're doing some in-depth stuff that I have neither the time nor mental capacity to do, lol. That said, I was reading through a Subaru repair manual (not Haynes, Chilton, etc.) and it mentioned turning off the symmetrical AWD by placing a fuse in the slot marked FWD. It doesn't explain why this would be necessary so I would curious if you've ever read that. Wouldn't it just be more stress on the front end from having to compensate?

If we need to move this to another thread, let me know.

Yeah we discussed that capability and and reasoning for an owner to want to do that and the general consensus is NO :lol: If you are wanting to zap the AWD for fuel purpose you should go buy a Corolla. But if you need to do it for towing or diagnostics then I could see it being done.

I will be sure to take a video when I get in the car a little later, I can probably post it today or tomorrow. I haven't had decreased performance, and the belts and pulleys were changed when I got the timing belt done 4k ago. The noise seems to be coming from the engine bay. No lights have come on. It's just one of the few noises that my car makes(wheel bearing, blower motor going, that boxer rumble ;) )

Yeah get a sound clip up and we will be able to pin point it quickly!

That sounds quite familiar to me. Usually after I have been driving for a while I no longer get the noise from it. I have been noticing I get a slight noise during the lower rpm range while the engine is still cold. My legacy also has 206k on it I should also mention. If it is just a heat shield rattling I could just live with the occasional noises it makes I just don't want to ignore something. I feel almost as though I am a parent worrying about my child.

If you don't feel like taking the heat shield off, just stop by an exhaust or fab shop and get them to spot weld where the noise is coming from. When I first started trying to figure out where it was coming from, I cranked my car and kept revving it to make the noise while my buddy looked under the car. He put his hand on the heat shield and the noise stopped immediately.

If you don't feel like taking the heat shield off, just stop by an exhaust or fab shop and get them to spot weld where the noise is coming from. When I first started trying to figure out where it was coming from, I cranked my car and kept revving it to make the noise while my buddy looked under the car. He put his hand on the heat shield and the noise stopped immediately.

Good advice quick and cheap :)

Yeah we discussed that capability and and reasoning for an owner to want to do that and the general consensus is NO :lol: If you are wanting to zap the AWD for fuel purpose you should go buy a Corolla. But if you need to do it for towing or diagnostics then I could see it being done.

Gotcha! I was just curious why one would need to turn it off but I diagnostics and towing answers that question. Thanks.

Archived