LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

And I lust for the GTV6. Gorgeous cars but out of my price range when they came out. Italian motors. Grrrrrrr.

And almost every one of them rusted away.

I think it was Alfa that had polyurethane foam in the hollow frame of the floor in order to lower noise - and polyurethane attracts water.

453747.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I swapped the old 'street' wheels/tires from the NA onto the NB, now that spring appears to have sprung. 205/50 Conti ECS on 15x8 Konigs... they definitely fill out the wheel wells a little better.

41794136122_8752fd2711_c.jpg

41794135382_09042b22e9_c.jpg

Our NC also returned home today... sort of. I got a phone call from the guy who bought our NC from the dealer where we traded it in. I guess we have several acquaintances in common, and one of them recognized the car and gave him my number. He was looking for info on the history of the car and the mods I had done. Turns out he's a long time gearhead and racer, so he came by for a bit, and I gave him the lowdown on the car, and a service manual and the stock parts I still had hanging around.

Good to know our NC went to a proper home... :)

Finally ditched the non-working stock Bose radio, amp and speakers.

I installed a cheapo JVC digital receiver (no CD) and some Polk speakers. Nothing special, but spending lots of $$ on audio in a convertible is a waste of time, IMHO. I can BT from my phone, or play from USB and I may add satellite radio.

41933851092_d94c6797d7_c.jpg

I've got a compact powered sub I'm going to try to squeeze in behind the passenger seat to add some low end. If it fits...

Yeah, I was just reading the thread on M.net... looks like the usual shitshow, combined with a couple website issues to make it extra special. :p

Kinda glad we decided not to attend this year, although any future dates are unlikely to be any better.

As much as we love it, it's a really expensive weekend for us. As a comparison, the weekend school we recently did at Willow Springs cost us less than half what Laguna did last year. I'd rather spend the money on more track time at closer tracks.

We'll be back, though... maybe next year. Maybe I'll wait until the NA is faster... ;)

Yeah when I almost didn't get in I almost just wrote off the event. The event was a LOT more expensive this year than in years past. Losing the Mazda sponsorship really seems to have messed with their prices.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yeah I'm actually contemplating canceling... By the time I pay for 3 nights in hotels in Monterey I can probably get 3 other track days at another local track.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Since we're only a month away from FM Summer Camp, I thought I should start another project on the NA... headlight delete.

I ordered some Singular brackets back in April, and the finally showed up yesterday...

42264481851_decb64eeb8_c.jpg

42264480861_5b4f22456c_c.jpg

Frees up a lot of room in the engine bay... and removed 17lbs from the nose.

28390725438_2066c6842b_c.jpg

Headlights will be replaced by LED lights behind clear turn signal lenses.

41542623724_a39bceb146_c.jpg

And, I'll get to move the air inlet to the cold side, now that there's room for the 180* pipe...

41362491275_351310b8b2_c.jpg

Edited by rodan

Actually, I plan to install a NACA duct on the passenger side headlight lid for that very purpose. Won't be true 'ram air' though... no real way to seal the intake area.

Got my intake stuff, and did a little bit last night after work. Mostly just mocked up for now...

42362181221_b173010412_c.jpg

I'm debating sectioning the 'U' bend as shown here, which would allow the filter to be farther forward. As shown, it's about 4" over the target inlet length.

41639573484_2da3cb6173_c.jpg

NACA duct will go in the headlight door and funnel fresh air to the area.

40554968180_1a271917d2_c.jpg

Also got my new rear hubs, from a group buy on MT.net...

40554970650_db5bd82a0f_c.jpg

Modified from Toyota MR-S rear hubs, and should be stronger than the problematic Miata hubs. ARP studs, for studliness... :p

why not run the filter in the old headlight bucket location? seems like that plus a duct would feed it 'cleaner' (colder, more direct flow, whatever) air?

seeking to understand, not challenge your choice :)

I could suck start a snow blower.

There's not really any airflow to that location without ducting it from somewhere else. The headlight lid is the only real place to pull air from, and the NACA duct that's going to go there takes up the space the filter would need.

Eventually, things will change anyway. Either this motor will get a turbo, or it will get a non-native engine swap.

Got the NACA duct installed.

First step was cutting a nice big hole in the headlight lid...

41819952544_d4daaa7926_c.jpg

Once that was all smoothed out and the perimeter given some protective paint, in went the NACA duct.

41819951154_18e8cfc902_c.jpg

This thing should move a good bit of air...

42546757161_71bea2b7e5_c.jpg

Next step is to finish the lighting.

Ordered up a new fuel tank for the tow rig over Memorial Day weekend. Stock fuel is 33gal, this one is 55gal. Makes a significant difference at 9 mpg...

Bigger tank is BIG!

41688591855_5fd59fda81_c.jpg

Good thing the sale included free shipping!!! :p