LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In other news, my 'street' wheels (15x8 Konig Flatouts) definitely don't fit with the new brakes. So, I might as well go up to 15x9 with the replacements... :p

I actually haven't decided which wheels to go with yet, but the new 'street' rubber showed up today....

26231751468_a92e59fc72_c.jpgRival S 2-18 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Since these regularly go on backorder in the spring, I figured I better get the tires first. Wheels are easier. I sure wish RE71Rs came in 225/45-15... I really like them on the wife's NC, but the BFGs should do just fine.

When I wear out the NT-01s on the 'track' wheels, they'll get replaced with either Maxxis RC1s or Toyo RRs. No more of this treaded tire nonsense... :D

If it's 'crazing' (tiny cracks in the plastic) you'll never get rid of it. Our 'Vette had that, and me attempting to restore them didn't do a thing...

Nope it's more of a milky white haze all the way through the lenses.

28325317849_26048f82d1_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

In other news, my 'street' wheels (15x8 Konig Flatouts) definitely don't fit with the new brakes. So, I might as well go up to 15x9 with the replacements... :p

I actually haven't decided which wheels to go with yet, but the new 'street' rubber showed up today....

26231751468_a92e59fc72_c.jpgRival S 2-18 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Since these regularly go on backorder in the spring, I figured I better get the tires first. Wheels are easier. I sure wish RE71Rs came in 225/45-15... I really like them on the wife's NC, but the BFGs should do just fine.

When I wear out the NT-01s on the 'track' wheels, they'll get replaced with either Maxxis RC1s or Toyo RRs. No more of this treaded tire nonsense... :D

Hey Rodan, Are you running those 225's are 15x8's? Hows it feel?? Currently running 205 Star specs on 15x8 and very happy with the direct feel of steering input. However, Would love to have some more mechanical grip and an enclosed trailer may be coming before race wheel/tire setup this season.

I'm running them on 15x9s.

General consensus is 205s on 8s, 225s on 9s and 245s on 10s. 275 hoosiers on 6UL 15x11 for the total ballers out there... :p

No reason you can't run 225s on 8s, though. You'll be sacrificing a little feel on turn-in, and maybe a little outright grip, as the sidewall is supported better on 9s.

Picked up an engine hoist and stand today, then put the car up in the air to get ready to pull out the motor and transmission.

40178397631_6e3a94a8e7_b.jpg

Today's progress

40145314482_3bd46dc801_b.jpg

Can even fit the other cars in the garage with the extra equipment when I'm done for the day!

25306292627_b7f27d9fd8_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

More progress today. I'm not good at stopping for pictures while I'm working. I got the cam seals replaced, the FM seal presses were amazing! It looks like the intake cam seal was leaking and was just dried up stuck badly. Hopefully that fixes my oil leak issues at the front of the engine. I noticed the VVT oil feed line seems to be leaking at the banjo bolt on the block so I'll have to do some investigating on that. Also the sensor above it seems to have melted the wax out.

I forgot about the rubber boots at the shifter so manged to tear those. One of the collector studs got mangled so I'll have to pull that out to replace it. I keep debating on if I want to get a 6spd and a coolant reroute or not. Also have to decide how much I want to spend on maintenance that's easier with the engine out.

40197026251_7842e8a7b2_b.jpg

39485466194_d8031d4298_b.jpg

28417038009_b6b3786bb1_b.jpg

Edited by Chris GTO TT

2003 Baja 5MT

That all looks very familiar... :p

I really like the bronze wheels on black. I was thinking about bronze for my next set, but the 6UL bronze is more of an orange-gold, and Goodwin is out of Storm S1 in bronze... eh... 1st world problems.

So get the storm S2.... I think the look better than the S1.

That's the problem... I don't. Don't like the S2 at all... :lol:

Right now it's between a set of Titanium S1s, or another set of Tungsten 6ULs. S1s are considerably cheaper for the set...

I've got some guys coming over to look at NB parts in a little bit. I'm hoping to sell them my whole parts car. That may help me make up my mind...

Oh I love the S2 :wub: it reminds me of a lighter version of the wheels I have.

Finishing up on the front of the engine hopefully O'Reilly has a new valve cover gasket. Then I'm hoping home depot or maybe o'reilly has the collector stud I need. The last seal I need to replace is the rear crank. If I get the front buttoned up I might hang it from the hoist and take care of that today.

2003 Baja 5MT

slightly off-topic. I recently read an article in Automobile Mag about Flyin' Miata kit for the RF Miata...adding 75/75 (IIRC) hp/tq. $10000 for that and springs/konis/wheels.

Add $8000 for a handful of suspension goodies.

If one could just stop there....

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

We drove one back in '14 when we bought our '13 NC Club Miata. The interior was nicer than the Miata, and obviously the car is more practical. The engine in the Twins sucks. Not enough power, not as smooth, and just felt... unhappy. The Miata feels like it wants you to rev it. The Twins engine feels like you should be mowing a lawn with it.

Obviously, the Twins handle well... they just need an engine designed for a sports car, not an Outback.

Oh... the roof on the Twins doesn't come off. ;)