LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Judging by the overhead hoist, and what looks like 'project' cars, it looks like he does his own work. That combined with an OBD trouble code he can't fix would lead me to look elsewhere.

A quick search of P2187 shows 'lean idle'... some Miata.net threads suggested O2 sensor...

I'd be leery... if it was simple, he probably would have fixed it.

thanks for the info on the miata's, it's cool the NB's are so capable out of the box, NA pop up head lights though, any chance of front end conversions?

also do any of you all have overheating issues, i see a lot of coolant rerouting kits out there and suggested, what are your thoughts? from my understanding from what i've read that its because of the coolant enters and exits the front of the block that it makes the rear cylinder a little toasty.

Edited by RustyRuu

Miatas do run a little warm, and the coolant reroute is recommended for 90-05. However in 01 Mazda changed the headgasket design to reduce the problem, so you won't see the full benefits of the reroute without a headgasket swap.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

1.6 does not need a reroute since it is routed differently than the 1.8.

But a new radiator and hoses plus checking the dreaded devil plug is always a good idea.

That's not accurate. The BP coolant flows the same way through the engine regardless of 1.6 or 1.8. The engine was designed to help have water flow in the front and out the rear of the head since it was designed to be FWD.

2003 Baja 5MT

The 1.6 does not route the water through the back of the head, that is why there is a cursed water plug. Search it. I know because I replaced all the hoses in my ‘90 Miata. The 1.8 does have it but even then the coolant reroute is questionable.
---

Sorry but no. The coolant reroute applies to all NA and NB cars. The only cars where it's not as effective is on the 01-05 cars and even then the guys who regularly track their cars still say to do it.

2003 Baja 5MT

The re-route is still a good idea on the 01-05 cars, you just have to use an earlier head gasket to remove the 'band aid' fix provided by the later head gasket in order to make the re-route fully effective.

Yeah, read that today...

I still think the 2.5 is a viable option, but I do agree that some of the expectations are a bit exaggerated by the folks making money off the swaps.

In other news, signed up for FM Summer Camp this morning, it will be our sixth! Track time is already sold out... first time I remember that happening in less than 24 hours!

In yet other news... this car is for sale close by: https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/for_sale.html

Too bad the convenience store clerk gave me the wrong lotto ticket... again! :p

Yeah, read that today...

I still think the 2.5 is a viable option, but I do agree that some of the expectations are a bit exaggerated by the folks making money off the swaps.

In other news, signed up for FM Summer Camp this morning, it will be our sixth! Track time is already sold out... first time I remember that happening in less than 24 hours!

In yet other news... this car is for sale close by: https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/for_sale.html

Too bad the convenience store clerk gave me the wrong lotto ticket... again! :p

Agreed it seems to be overly hyped. I probably wouldn't do it as long as I'm in CA.

Saw them post that one on Instagram and sent it to my wife :lol:

The jerk at the convenience store does the same thing to me :mad:

2003 Baja 5MT

my buddy constantly talks about wanting to swap the ecotec in his NA for an LFX. That seems like a perfect compromise for a all around fun car. Not overly powerful, seems like the perfect setup for me.

Id def go that route over the 2.5 if it were me.

*edit - im a dumb dumb he already posted about it last page

Edited by stocklgt

So I messaged this guy today. The title is still in the previous owners name, claims it has a cracked intake manifold and it doesn't have the LSD. Not going to go for it, I don't feel like swapping in a LSD.

I was talking to this guy https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-mazda-miata-se/6458675277.html and may go see it tomorrow. :spin: I'd have do timing/water pump, install my roll hoop, my clutch/flywheel and buy some Feal's

2003 Baja 5MT

That NB looks pretty decent, though I'm not a fan of the color after seeing a few in person. It may even have sport brakes. If it could be had for ~$4000-4200, it would be a nice platform.

I had another A,B,C day today... oil change and wash on the NC, took the NA to get diff oil for the NB, then changed the diff oil and washed the NB. :p

That NB looks pretty decent, though I'm not a fan of the color after seeing a few in person. It may even have sport brakes. If it could be had for ~$4000-4200, it would be a nice platform.

it should be a factory 6spd car so that means it comes with all the chassis bracing and the sport brakes. I'd probably offer $4k or walk, it has too many little things that were cheaped out on for me to spend more than that on it. I really don't want to do another top and roll hoop install though :lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

I pulled it out of the garage for the first time since I parked it in there. Went for a quick spin to get some lunch and then cleaned up the headlights. Mine didn't come out quite as nice as rodan's but still a nice improvement. I think mine have a permanent haze all the way through the lenses.

2003 Baja 5MT