LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Made more progress today, got the engine/automatic out of the black car and split.

38500374595_f1771e96b6_c.jpgDSC_1459 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

A little grimy, but much cleaner than the blue car was when I got it...

25508481758_0ab4b3d8c1_c.jpgDSC_1460 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

25508481238_43e59e4c20_c.jpgDSC_1461 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Also pulled the PPF and did some of the wiring for the swap. Tomorrow, I hope to get the engine/trans/PPF pulled from the blue car and prep it for install. I still have some cleanup to do with the exhaust out of the blue car, which is also going in, since the black car was originally a CA car.

I miss the days when I could work on cars for 12hrs straight, fueled only by youth, soda and cheap pizza... getting old sucks! :lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also got the goodies for the NA...

39377836971_c04dd671fc_c.jpgFrontWilwoods by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

949 11.75" front kit with Dynapro radial mount calipers and directional vane rotors. Also popped for the Wilwood master cylinder. I still need to pick up an NB Sport booster, and decide on which pads to get.

Caliper is just a bit bigger than the stock 1.6 brakes... :p

24512894407_a3eea7f1ae_c.jpgFrontDynapro by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Combined with the Powerlite 4 pistons on Sport rotors on the rear, I should be future proof as far as brakes go... er... stop. Whatever... :D

Also got the goodies for the NA...

949 11.75" front kit with Dynapro radial mount calipers and directional vane rotors. Also popped for the Wilwood master cylinder. I still need to pick up an NB Sport booster, and decide on which pads to get.

Caliper is just a bit bigger than the stock 1.6 brakes... :p

Combined with the Powerlite 4 pistons on Sport rotors on the rear, I should be future proof as far as brakes go... er... stop. Whatever... :D

:wub:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Didn't get much accomplished on the swap today due to limited time, but I did dissect the BP4W that came out. Turns out the water pump was indeed a casualty of the freeze...

25525739338_04669405d0_c.jpgDSC_1466 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

I'm not sure how the impeller was bonded to the shaft, but there's no damage to it or the shaft... the freeze apparently created just enough drag to shear the bond.

25525739128_502d1e9fdb_c.jpgDSC_1467 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

38687816314_167a056da1_c.jpgDSC_1468 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

At least it's an easy fix to get the engine back to a salable state.

I had left it at my parents house when we moved into our new house, so I started it up and gave it a much needed bath. Then I took it for a short cruise and got gas. While I was filling it up an older gentleman in a S2000 comes over, complements me on my car and tells me he misses his old 2000.

38707476324_4e7fbaf329_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

Got the engine/trans out of the blue NB.

39402267452_01a93280fd_c.jpgDSC_1469 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Next is moving the clutch and brake pedals, and the ECU over to the black car. Also have a bit of wiring to do, and then I can start installing NB2 engine and manual trans.

Need to pick up some motor mounts. One out of each car is busted, so I figure rather than playing Russian Roulette with the two that are left, I'll just get new ones.

The manual trans PPF is filthy, so that needs to be cleaned up as well...

38724521404_5c63807bb1_c.jpgDSC_1471 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

More brake parts trickling in for the NA...

27751112719_473130ae47_c.jpg

And progress on the NB...

While both dashes were out to swap pedals and ECUs, I took the opportunity to swap all the vents and ducting over from the blue car in my quest to eliminate any remaining cigarette stench. I gave them a good cleaning before reinstalling them... not often you get the opportunity to clean the HVAC ducting.

25656341238_94e7e89546_c.jpg

I also picked the best four of the eight 'eyeball' vents, and cleaned them up as well.

25656342378_1004e9b5b3_c.jpg

Next was getting everything back in the car... after making a couple of wiring mods for the manual trans.

25656342028_bae6d5f7cb_c.jpg

Everything is ready to drop the engine and trans in. I need to install new motor mounts and extend one of the O2 sensor harness before it goes in, but that shouldn't take long.

Finished the manual powertrain swap into the NB today... :D

Going in...

39516275722_9b58a9ca98_c.jpg

In...

39516278072_a331288827_c.jpg

Inside...

39516276412_033ac2bdc6_c.jpg

Runs and drives great!

Now I need to clean up the garage, and move the blue car into storage.

Of course the new house payment means I can't really afford a bunch of yard cars lol

And the honeydo list generally gets a lot longer... :lol:

BTW, the blue '99 is officially a yard car now... de-insured it and non-op'd the registration yesterday. Still undecided if I will keep the shell long term, but there's a lot of parts to harvest yet. I'm a little sad, 'cause I hate to see any Miata die... :(

Yes but at the moment the Exploder is about the only thing that wouldn't get stuck in the mud of the side yard. The yard behind the fence is unfinished, downside of a brand new house. On the other hand the interior list is much shorter.

You should build a 99 spec Miata!

2003 Baja 5MT

That's the same kit I bought... just different friction rings from 949. Basically, they are both reselling the V8 Roadsters kit. I almost went for the GWR kit with the AP racing rings, though... :D

Everything is either here, or on the way, except pads... which I'm going to try to get ordered today.

I probably could have gotten away with an 11" kit and rear sports in my current configuration, but I wanted to be future proof.

The total cost was nuts, though...

When I first bought the NA, I baselined it, replacing M/C and rotors with stock stuff, added stainless lines, good fluid and Hawk pads. That cost ~$400. I just spent almost that on pads for the new setup... :eek::lol:

For a dual purpose car, the Hawk pads are a lot more reasonable, and work pretty well. Once you start pushing things on R-comps, the costs go up. I went with G-Loc this time because of multiple recommendations from the hardcore track guys.

Edit: there is supposed to be a trade off with longer pad life... we'll see...