LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

If I'm going to the trouble of a non-native swap, it's not going to be a 4 banger... :p

Fair enough, if I'm going to go through the trouble of having a daily and a fun car I'm sure not choosing a miata. ;):p

I could suck start a snow blower.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone swapped in the newer 2.4DIT(?) From the CX9?

Not that I'm aware of... I have heard of a couple of MZR 2.0s swapped in, but it's a lot of work for little benefit. Some of the new direct injection engines create packaging issues with the HPFP on the back of the head in a longitudinal orientation, and the tuning solutions are almost non-existent.

The other issue with newer engine swaps is lots of times they are so dependent on the CAN Bus they simply won’t work right without it. One of the reasons the LS swaps works so well is because, even for the modern versions, GM sells it as a complete standalone engine and control package.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Swapped wheels on the NBs. Konigs look good on the black car...

24362592757_d6ba093831_c.jpgBlackNB Konig by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Also discovered the previous owner filled the coolant with straight water... found a puddle underneath, and the lower radiator hose was pushed off the radiator by a nice popsicle! :eek:

I extracted the popsicle, and got the hose back in place. I ran the engine up to temp, but still wasn't getting warm air from the heater. I'm letting it sit for a while, so the engine heat can thaw things out... I didn't find any other damage, so I'm hoping I don't have a bigger problem.

Well... radiator is toast. Looked like a sprinkler once I got it thawed.... :(

Hopefully, that's the worst of it. I couldn't find any other spots leaking. New radiator on the way from Amazon.

It's pretty common to get into the 20s here, and not uncommon to see teens this time of year. Last night was the coldest night so far this year... forecast was 12*...

So, new radiator arrived yesterday(!). I installed it, and have no leaks, and no nasty noises, and no water in the oil, but water is not circulating through the cooling system.

Next step is T-stat... I don't know if freezing can kill one and cause it to fail closed, but that appears the likely scenario.

The other possibility is the water pump, but if it was damaged, I would expect leaks or nasty noises, and I have neither...

If the T-stat doesn't fix it, I'll just yank the motor and check it out after I swap in the manual drivetrain.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!! to the LGT Miata community! :D

As soon as you said it was for the NA I knew what it was, but I am interested in what kit you went with.

For that, you'll have to wait 'till tomorrow... :p

Funny thing, I ordered the rear rotors from Amazon the other day. They're just Centric stock NB sport rears. Weird thing is they both showed up today... one from UPS and the other USPS... gotta love Amazon! :lol:

On the NB front, I started on the big drivetrain swap today.

38481991515_32da08487d_c.jpgBig swap start by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

It's a lot of work prepping to pull the engine/trans on two cars!

And, your wife is ok with this?

I tried showing my wife your driveway with 3 miatas to plant the seed of a third car (for me), but my dreams were squelched before you could say "hobby car".

Major kudos and brass you know what for pulling that off on the entire width of your driveway.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I got lucky with the weather... if she has to scrape windows in the mornings I hear about it... :lol:

Hoping to have this done in a couple of days anyway.

Here it's more surprising not having to scrape the windows and it often means it's raining instead this season.

453747.png

Our forecast is 73F and sunny today... definitely not normal for this time of year. Typically the daytime high would be in the high 40s/ low 50s. I'm doing my best to take advantage of it!

Overnight low is still 23F, though... so I'm not getting started 'till it warms up! :p