LegacyGT.com

2009 WRX OEM setup on 2013 Legacy 6MT

The BR/BM ones are a different design to anything I've seen before.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered a front right 2013 strut and one koni front inset for a test fitment...wish me luck!

Note that this is the 2013 Legacy strut for a test fit since Koni is reluctant to spend a few hundred bucks....

Edited by fredrik94087

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

How much did the 2013 strut ran you?

I just ordered a front right 2013 strut and one koni front inset for a test fitment...wish me luck!

Note that this is the 2013 Legacy strut for a test fit since Koni is reluctant to spend a few hundred bucks....

How much did the 2013 strut ran you?

$105 not including shipping. I just want to finish this once and for all and not have lingering questions.

Insert was from TireRack at $155 not including shipping.

If it works, I'll get the other strut and insert and rears. If not, we are wiser.

Cheers!

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear the Bilstein wrx cup/works at racecomp would be the ultimate susp crossover for the 5th legacy (with the race blacks not the yellows). If drop became a real issue use subtle solutions spacers the bring the height up a. 1/2 in or so.... Just a thought..

Peace,

Dave F

It would appear the Bilstein wrx cup/works at racecomp would be the ultimate susp crossover for the 5th legacy...

Perhaps, IF it ever comes to market. OTOH, I'm happier with adjustable damping than any 'custom' valving solution meant for one single spring.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So...I got the koni insert and one 2013 OEM front strut...

The OEM housing is a bit tight, and I can't get the inset to go beyond the three little bulges near the top. I had to cut the darn thing twice. First with hacksaw...second with sawzall because there was no way on God's green Earth that I was going to be able to get my hacksaw in there.

The cut is BELOW the highest point of the spring perch. There must be a better way, but the sawzall worked and I still have my left leg. This creates an exposure that is larger than the rubber piece that is supposed to "shroud" the insert.

Not sure how the heck I'm going to get my Torque wrench to fit an alan wrench so I can get the 55 ft/lbs that is recommended.

I plan on using some LocTite on the thread, but not sure what to do about the upper portion. It is in there very SNUG, in that, there is really no jiggle, but once it goes on the car, there will be forces beyond my biceps.

There is a "cold weld" product at home depot. Not sure if I want to do that or do something else.

All good suggestions are welcome!

Oh...almost forgot...pictures.

AND...

Wait for it...............

Wait for it......................

strut1.thumb.jpg.3723c4e81ff358b6e5c9aae7c0217674.jpg

strut2.thumb.jpg.364d764ffe647614d83ef4ed91962ade.jpg

strut3.thumb.jpg.32e1d67a81aef2fb34a3f76f737aef64.jpg

Edited by fredrik94087

These things are supposed to be tight, or they'd rattle in use. Do not bang on the insert to get it into the body, or it will leak later.

If you can't get the bolt Koni supplied to catch the threads in the lug at the bottom of the insert, use a longer one of the same diameter and pitch to pull it in.

Uh oh...looks like you might have cut a bit too much there. That little slot that sticks out about 1.5 inches from the top for strut needs to sit inside the strut housing. It is there to make sure the fit is completely tight to ensure no movement between the two.

As Fahr_side said, using a longer bolt will help pull the insert to seat completely flush with the bottom of the housing.

Use a pipe cutter will make the cut a lot easier and more accurate. For example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Tubing-Cutter-32920/100015820#.UVACPhzvu8M

As for the torque thing, you need an allen socket with a torque wrench. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv-7-pc-hex-bit-socket-set/p-00910058000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I don't recommend driving on that strut like that, but the question is, how the heck are you gonna take the insert back out without destroying it?

Uh oh...looks like you might have cut a bit too much there. That little slot that sticks out about 1.5 inches from the top for strut needs to sit inside the strut housing. It is there to make sure the fit is completely tight to ensure no movement between the two.

Those three nubs have to go into the body or the install won't be tight enough. Sorry.

You may be able weld the last bit of tube you cut back on to reclaim the unit.

fahr_side is right. I have done these inserts on other cars. It looks like you cut it too far down toward the spring perch.

Below is a pic from this forum. The guy was selling these for a 4th gen.

IMAG0271.thumb.jpg.bba1708a0d9899580cc3ee8debe10c2c.jpg

Edited by GTEASER

Yep, I saw the way it was done for the WRX, but this housing is not wide enough.

I originally cut it to allow the nubs to fit inside, but when I saw they wouldn't go in, I cut a second time.

The inside diameter of our strut housing is NOT wide enough to fit those three little nubs in there. It is very snug all the way to those nubs. That means, there is NO way I can get those things past.

I thought about using something that could open up the housing to make it a bit wider at the top to allow those three nubs to pass, but that would not necessarily make it stronger. Something like the tool they use in a muffler shop to open up a pipe.

The instruction that came with the insert said if the inside diameter is 45mm, do not use the supplied ring to go between the nubs and the housing. If the diameter is 48mm, then I would insert a ring between the numbs and the housing. Either way, the instruction showed the nubs going past the OEM housing. Mine can't.

If I tried to use a longer screw and pull the insert in, I would probably end up buckling the bottom of the OEM housing where the screw attaches.

The inside diameter of the housing is a "hair" wider than the insert...and I mean the hair of a flea.

I thought about getting something between the koni insert and the OEM housing to make it tighter, but I can't even fit a piece of paper in there.

As far as getting it out, the body of the insert is very smooth, but the nubs allow a monkey wrench to easily grab and twist it while pulling. It does come out.

I could have cut it 1/8" to 1/4" less than I did, but that is about it. It is that or nothing as far as the '08+ WRX insert mates up to the '13 Legacy housing.

I just had to see if it was going to fit or not. The answer is that it is not an "ideal" fit, but it does fit. The OEM housing is about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter than ideal. Ideal being going over the nubs. I don't know how that will play as far as strength and being able to hold the strut properly.

By the way, fully extended, the Koni insert is about 2" shorter than the OEM strut. I didn't check how much shorter it is when fully collapsed, but you can bet it is shorter than OEM.

Cheers!

Edited by fredrik94087

The nubs do deform during install, and so does the housing. It does seem like the fit is too tight and the nubs won't pull in, but they do. I had to use a longer bolt and it is very hard to get the nubs into the bore of the body. Once they're in, it's much easier to pull in that last centimeter.

Wow 2" shorter? Those are WRX inserts or not the LGTs, right?

Are you gonna do over on a new housing, or weld the piece back then cut again?

By the way, fully extended, the Koni insert is about 2" shorter than the OEM strut. I didn't check how much shorter it is when fully collapsed, but you can bet it is shorter than OEM.

Cheers!

The nubs do deform during install, and so does the housing. It does seem like the fit is too tight and the nubs won't pull in, but they do. I had to use a longer bolt and it is very hard to get the nubs into the bore of the body. Once they're in, it's much easier to pull in that last centimeter.

I see what you are saying. I'm not sure if that is the way it is intended to go in...and how would you get it out if you wanted to replace it?

Also, when you did this type of insert before, did you have a snug fit before you pulled it in past the nubs? I already have a snug fit before the nubs.

I'll have to get a caliper and measure the inside of the housing. I don't believe it is the 45mm for which the insert was intended...nor the 48mm for which I can use the koni supplied metal ring for a snug fit.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers!

Edited by fredrik94087

Wow 2" shorter? Those are WRX inserts or not the LGTs, right?

Are you gonna do over on a new housing, or weld the piece back then cut again?

Not gonna weld it on as it was hacked off in a not so clean way.

Yes, WRX inserts.

As far as pipe cutters go, I looked into it, but it would not be able to get around the highest point of the spring perch...and that was for my first cut which would allow the nubs to fit inside, so I used a hack saw. The compact pipe cutters are only good for copper and will not cut steel.

If the OEM housing measures 45mm or more, I will get a new housing and try again. If it doesn't measure at least 45mm, it will be safe to say that the insert will not work as intended by Koni.

Cheers!

Edited by fredrik94087

Was it only the nubs that didn't fit? The rest of the insert went inside fairly snugly? If so, that is how the install is intended.

Exactly as you said. It is very snug. After the second cut...where the nubs stick out, It was snug enough that I couldn't pull the insert out and had to use a monkey wrench to catch the nubs and twist it out.

Still, I will measure it, and if "fahr_side" says that is how his fit, then I may try it again.

Cheers!

I see what you are saying. I'm not sure if that is the way it is intended to go in...and how would you get it out if you wanted to replace it?

Also, when you did this type of insert before, did you have a snug fit before you pulled it in past the nubs? I already have a snug fit before the nubs.

The inserts are snug in the WRX housings before the nubs pull in. It's a transitional fit. Some paint will come off. Both the nubs and housings will deform as they pull in.

To get the inserts out you put a longer bolt in and thump it a few times.

So what's your next step? Have you thought about picking up some take-off WRX struts to hack up?

So what's your next step? Have you thought about picking up some take-off WRX struts to hack up?

Umm...not sure if you are asking me or ScoobyGT.

As for me, I'm gonna go with your advice and use a longer bolt and pull it in.

I am not using WRX struts. I will be using OEM struts.

According to what you said about the fit being snug before the nubs, I will try it again. I have the rest of the koni's on order as well as new housings for the front.

I am hopeful...:rolleyes:

If it works, I will be :eek:

If it fails, I will be :mad:

and then I will just have to get coilovers :nono:

Yes, I was talking to you. Glad you have enough depth to pull the nubs into. From the photos it didn't look that way. Very interested in how this pans out.

Yes, I was talking to you. Glad you have enough depth to pull the nubs into. From the photos it didn't look that way. Very interested in how this pans out.

Nope...I ordered two new fronts. I should have gotten on the forum when I hit the nubs, but decided to do a second cut.

I should have some news by next weekend.

Cheers!