LegacyGT.com

Here's a doozy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, there's good news today. After testing for continuity, and running ohms through MANY wires, I found a broken wire that led me to think that I got the ECU and the BIU talking again. I trailered it to the Subie dealer today, and we reflashed the immobilizer. FIRE! Whoo hoo!!

Well, more like sputter. I turn the key and it sputters for a few turns but never runs. Remembering, this is a brand new engine- is there anything I am missing?

I have fuel, and I have fire... but not a constant running car. I get a few sputters, but nothing sustained.

Last chance?? Any advice??

Check all timings so that you have the right timing and also so you haven't mixed up the firing order to the spark plugs.

Wrong order to the injectors should still allow the engine to run.

453747.png

1. Electronic nanny working properly ?
  2. Compression ?
  3. Fuel ?
  4. Air ?
  5. Fire ?

Obviously, if 1 isn't proper, then 2-5 aren't going to work properly either.

If you have compression, then valve timing should be close enough to run, but could still be out. Check the timing belt to make sure everything is as it should be there.

Fuel pump getting signal from the ECU and firing at the proper speed and pressure is critical to starting and running. ECU needs input to know when to fire the injectors as well.

Air - If the ECU is reading the signals correctly from the crank and cam sensors, and the Throttle Body is correctly connected and feeding info to the ECU, then it should be reading everything correctly there and "air" should be happening

Fire - Again, ECU reading sensors correctly, and sending spark control the proper sequencing on the coilpacks.

It's all interdependent.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have checked the timing belt, and I think I may be a tooth or two off on the passenger's side, and 2-3 teeth off on the driver's side. Tomorrow I will try to remedy this. Does anyone think this small variance could be the cause of my sputter/no run issue.

ECU to fuel test is good.

Cam and crank position sensors are receiving pulses and sending back to the ECU- maybe just not at the right time.

Coil packs tested positive, so I am hoping I have found a smoking gun.

Wish me luck.

If a cam is out of phase the ECM won't let It start

Just so you know Subaru timming is done 90 deg from tdc just incase you thought it was like a normal engine. I made that mistake!

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Cam gear is off??

Care to elaborate? Timing belt is off a tooth?

We checked the timing belt, cam gears, main crank, marks, etc. as per the manual- and all has been put right.

I have ordered a cam position sensor, and we will see if that helps.

Wish me luck.

Car will run with the cam sensors unplugged they are there for sequential fuel injection timming and can advance timming.

I you have two coil packs firing and two that are not I would say the timing is correct there is another problem either wiring or the coil pack them selves

could you just try unplugging both cam sensor s and see if it starts .. it would require the engine to crank for about 5 seconds. it wont start right away.

Archived