LegacyGT.com

Yes another sti engine swap thread

If you want to go down that avenue it will be more than just those bits. It will be the entire intake/IC system, throttle body, DP, UP, fuel system upgrades, tune, etc... You're really exhausting all the quick and easy fixes LOL :spin:

Gotcha. Did I mention I will have access to both engines ? My first idea was to just build the thing but a matter of space, time and knowledge leaned me toward the engine swap...Some reputable Subaru performance shop in the area told me the quick way was to just swap the hardware (ic intake turbo) from the LGT to the sti engine, other than that and some minor fitting, not much...

I had swapped a 2006 impreza engine in my old 2001 LGT and they were very helpful for the tips on the swap (only had to keep intake from 2001 and driver side cam pulley). That's why I took their advice for cash and now I'm getting confused. That was basic stuff compared to the turbo LGT !

That's my second turboed car (had a Nissan skyline that I imported from Japan some years ago) and my 4th legacy, never would I have thought that it would be such a task to swap turboed engines that are supposed to be similar.

Some reputable Subaru performance shop in the area told me the quick way was to just swap the hardware (ic intake turbo) from the LGT to the sti engine, other than that and some minor fitting, not much...

uh? put the lgt turbo intake and intercooler? on a sti engine and put that in a legacy? well then you have a regular legacy gt ! those are the 3 things that make the most difference .. who was this subaru shop who said such a thing?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

uh? put the lgt turbo intake and intercooler? on a sti engine and put that in a legacy? well then you have a regular legacy gt ! those are the 3 things that make the most difference .. who was this subaru shop who said such a thing?

I know !! What I am trying to say is that I have 2 options.

1. I swap these 3 parts on the sti engine et voila and sell the remaining sti parts but Zero1 seems to say its not that quick ??

2. I swap the whole sti engine and have the supporting mods/tune to complete it but that's where it gets tricky for me.

At that point, I don't know what to do...selling it with the LGT parts swap on the sti bottom or keep it and make it roar with all the sti goodies.

Im going to go ahead and unsubscribe to this thread because I don't think I can manage to be nice.

Because 2.5 turbo is too mainstream

You were already told the engine management, wiring harness and more need to be modified. If you are going to go to all the trouble to do a custom install into your LGT, it would make a lot more sense and to just do a custom V8 install. Better yet, a GM v6 per Frankster.

Good luck with your simple rebuild that you are needlessly turning into a headache.

Im going to go ahead and unsubscribe to this thread because I don't think I can manage to be nice.

You were already told the engine management, wiring harness and more need to be modified. If you are going to go to all the trouble to do a custom install into your LGT, it would make a lot more sense and to just do a custom V8 install. Better yet, a GM v6 per Frankster.

Good luck with your simple rebuild that you are needlessly turning into a headache.

Lol calm down just suggest me what in your opinion would be my best bet... I know I maybe did it wrong at first but there must be something I can do without loosing it all ?

Sell LGT. Buy STi. Swap complete.

Or keep LGT as is, sell the swap motor for money.

Here's what is actually different between the engine you bought to do the swap and the engine already in your car:

1. Intake Manifold

2. Turbo

3. Downpipe

4. Uppipe

5. Piston Part Number

For the headache of swapping to an STi engine, you could spend the same money on a catted downpipe, an uppipe, and a tune to get you to stage 2 power. If you want to spend a little more money, add a BNR 16G/VF52 or a BNR 18G turbo, get upgraded fuel pump and injectors, and a tune.

/thread?

Sell LGT. Buy STi. Swap complete.

Or keep LGT as is, sell the swap motor for money.

Here's what is actually different between the engine you bought to do the swap and the engine already in your car:

1. Intake Manifold

2. Turbo

3. Downpipe

4. Uppipe

5. Piston Part Number

For the headache of swapping to an STi engine, you could spend the same money on a catted downpipe, an uppipe, and a tune to get you to stage 2 power. If you want to spend a little more money, add a BNR 16G/VF52 or a BNR 18G turbo, get upgraded fuel pump and injectors, and a tune.

/thread?

Totally agree but

1) my current LGT engine got a rod knock, rebuilt needed, no knowledge

2) I already have the bnr16g which is brand new, on the LGT engine.

EJ257 shortblock is your best bet.

You should have said that you were trying to fix your stock engine. As far as I know, you can strip the STi block to the block and install the components from your engine to it aside from the stuff mentioned in the previous list. DAVCS wasn't on WRX until 08+. The 05-06 LGT/STi engine should be the same long block except for the pistons.

BTW, I doubt your BNR is "brand new" anymore. Chances are the rod bearing failure has or will affect the BNR. Find the root cause of the rod knock and determine if the CHRA would be affected (metal in oil most likely indicates metal in your turbo bearing assembly as well).

All questions should be answered with the part numbers. This site is your only friend for reliable information: http://opposedforces.com/parts/

Yes, while the engine is out, you may want to send the turbo back to Brian and have it checked out.

Better to spend a little money now instead of a lot later.

Thanks for the PM, We're all really here to help.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know !! What I am trying to say is that I have 2 options.

1. I swap these 3 parts on the sti engine et voila and sell the remaining sti parts but Zero1 seems to say its not that quick ??

2. I swap the whole sti engine and have the supporting mods/tune to complete it but that's where it gets tricky for me.

At that point, I don't know what to do...selling it with the LGT parts swap on the sti bottom or keep it and make it roar with all the sti goodies.

What should be pointed out is that if you want to swap in the STi short block, you my friend have a quick easy fix.

You suggested swapping the STi IM, turbo, and TMIC onto your 255 long block. That, my friend, is where the difficulties I pointed out come in to play or for that matter swapping in the 257 long block.

My ultimate recommendation would be to swap in the 257 short block, have your turbo once-overed, and voila your problems are solved. A tune can do nothing but help after it's all said and done.

Archived