LegacyGT.com

Axle (CV assembly): Must replace, but with what?

The given in my situation is that my 98 Legacy GT Wagon needs a new front axle.

I'm not racing. I'm not launching or towing. I just want a good axle that will last until I sell the car (could be a month, could be 5 years, not sure).

What's my best bet? I don't want to buy something that's going to break or be unreliable. But I don't want to spend $400 for an OEM.

The given in my situation is that my 98 Legacy GT Wagon needs a new front axle.

I'm not racing. I'm not launching or towing. I just want a good axle that will last until I sell the car (could be a month, could be 5 years, not sure).

What's my best bet? I don't want to buy something that's going to break or be unreliable. But I don't want to spend $400 for an OEM.

well that all depends, is the axle bad or is the boot torn?

subaru axles will likely last the life of the car if you keep them lubed and booted. so if the boot is the issue and the axle is still good, reboot it. it may not be the cheapest or easiest solution, but it is the best if you have a good subaru axle.

if the axle is bad, then buy a good used subaru axle from a salvage yard and reboot that. it will likely last the life of the car.

the problem with cheap reman axles is that they can be crap. some have issues right out of the box and cause vibrations, (usually on auto trans cars) .

http://www.car-part.com for used parts. subaru axles have a green inner cup. most remans i have seen are black.

there are a few good outfits that reman quality axles.

so, axle or boot?????

A friend of mine bought an Autozone axle. It broke. He returned it and that new one broke. That seems to be the story with A'zone.

He bought a Raxle axle and that fixed his problem, but they are twice the price of Napa, Advance Auto Parts, or anywhere else.

I'm frightened of used ones, as they could be bent, deteriorated, etc. and could be as bad as having a crappy new one.

I guess my question is, would an $80 Napa or Advance axle be sufficient or should I double that and get a Raxle and forget about the issue?

i replaced both front axles and they been in for around 9 months/10k miles or so.. still perfect.

as a matter of fact, the last shop i worked for used Advance Auto for about 90% of its parts... the only issue we had was about 1 in 100 brake jobs would come back for minor squeeking....

Here's how the aftermarket parts world works. There's only a hand full of companies that actually rebuild auto parts, they then in turn sell them to vendors who package them in their boxes and sell them to auto parts stores. In the end almost every store sells the same quality reman auto parts. This info came from my regional Napa Auto parts Rep. Now new parts are a little different but in some cases you'll get the same result. 15 years fixing cars/trucks I would say that Napa does sell a better quality NEW part. They may not be the cheapest but that's cuz they buy better parts in most cases.

Archived