LegacyGT.com

CV Joint hell...

When my center differential started to go bad, I would always hear a metallic clicking sound when turning, like when pulling into and out of a parking spot for example, or turning in a parking lot at slow speeds.

When it was warmer outside, over 24C or so, the clicking would almost always be present, no matter how much driving I had done. Under 24C, I might have to do at least 5,10, or 20 minutes of driving before I started to hear the clicking. It was definitely the worst on days when I did a lot of highway driving, and the transmission was hot.

Usually if the differential is locked you will hear/feel the tires jumping when doing turn and at slow speeds.

You have a MT with a viscous coupler, right? This is how I would check it. If you jack your car up on one side lifting the front wheel off the ground with the rear wheels engaged in gear (use the ebrake for safety). You should not be able to torque the front wheel lugnuts to 100 ft-lbs without the Viscous Coupler slipping. It is alright if the rear on the same side comes of the ground, you need to have the other side front wheel on the ground to lock it in place.

Archived