LegacyGT.com

Problems programming extra key (immobilizer)

Car only came with one key when I bought it (used). I had 2 leftover keys from my 09 2.5i that was totaled. I decided to order a switchblade key housing so I could swap the guts from my old leftover key into the switchblade housing and get it programmed to my 09 gt, saving myself $90 on a replacement key.

Swapped the immobilizer over and the dealership cut the key. For some reason, they could not program either of my left over immobilizer chips to the gt, and worse yet they charged me $25 for programming and it still doesn't work.

Tech told me the car wouldn't recognize the leftover immobilizers. Anyone have a clue as to why this would happen? Thought the programming was a relatively simple process.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the dealer is not being truthful. Find a good locksmith that can program immobilizer (transponder) and then try to get your money back from the dealer. Also, transfer over the one working transponder chip into your flip key to see if the key will start the car, it should.

I was in the same boat as you when I picked up my 05 LGT.

I went on Ebay, picked up some immobilizer keys, took it down to the dealer and had them both cut and program the new keys.

It cost me $7/key for them to cut (I had them do it so they took responsibility for the cut should there be an error)...and they charged me $21 to program all 3 keys (all keys need to be present since they have to re-program all at once).

One thing to remember is that only 3 keys can be coded at a time...if you get a fourth, it just kicks out the other...so there is no sense to have more than 3 keys.

Here is where I bought mine...worked like a charm and 1/5 the cost of buying a key at Subaru.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUBARU-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-UNCUT-IGNITION-KEY-600-x2-/400207893755?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALegacy|Submodel%3AGT&hash=item5d2e3fd4fb&vxp=mtr

The seller was: mykeyless-1

• 3 years later...
I was in the same boat as you when I picked up my 05 LGT.

I went on Ebay, picked up some immobilizer keys, took it down to the dealer and had them both cut and program the new keys.

It cost me $7/key for them to cut (I had them do it so they took responsibility for the cut should there be an error)...and they charged me $21 to program all 3 keys (all keys need to be present since they have to re-program all at once).

One thing to remember is that only 3 keys can be coded at a time...if you get a fourth, it just kicks out the other...so there is no sense to have more than 3 keys.

Here is where I bought mine...worked like a charm and 1/5 the cost of buying a key at Subaru.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUBARU-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-UNCUT-IGNITION-KEY-600-x2-/400207893755?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALegacy|Submodel%3AGT&hash=item5d2e3fd4fb&vxp=mtr

The seller was: mykeyless-1

Agree except they can hold 4 keys and remotes. not 3. I have 4 working keys and remotes for my '05 LGT

Archived