LegacyGT.com

2008 legacy gt 5 speed. Sounds like a roots supercharger when accelerating?

My new 06 to me is like this, at 150kmi. It is the ONLY thing I hear in the car, in 1st, 2nd. I need to go test it and see how much 2nd and 3rd is louder than 1st. I do not hear it, or register a problem in 4th and 5th. The car drives well, and shifts well.

The more I read about the center diff bearings being a problem, the more I'm convinced that's my problem, though a lot of those guys complain about a whine in 4th and 5th, which I don't have.

When you say it's the only thing you hear in 1st & 2nd, how hard are you accelerating? Normal driving or racing dat revvin Honda punk? :lol:

Mine only whines in 1st and 2nd when I'm pulling hard, not just gradually accelerating. Mine drives and shifts great, though sometimes I'm a little ahead of the clutch when shifting :rolleyes:

If you aren't hearing a whine in 4th or 5th, I wouldn't stress about it, but if it helps you sleep at night, get it checked anyways...just my $.02

1st and 2nd on my 09 LGT remind me of our old C50 we use to haul in hay. Of course thats a 4 speed with a 2 speed rear end but still totally acceptable that a Japanese sedan's gearbox sounds like a hay truck....right? :lol:

I would be alarmed if shifting effort was increasing or difficult, indicating a wearing/worn selector collar, but its smooth as can be. My guess is the 2nd synchro is bad as that is the loudest, but I can deal until the gearbox craps out. 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th are silent 2nd is like a the hay truck :) If I find a cheap blown 3.90 5MT ill buy it and have AndrewTech rebuild it to stock spec with good parts. A true 5MT HD :cool:

Archived