LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Pump Freezing up

I DEFINITELY need to do this. Did anyone have issues with a slight vibration at highway speeds? I am hoping this takes care of that issue, if not its off to get alignment :(

Not sure about the highway vibration you speak of... This just handled pump issues I am having at the moment for pressure in the PS system.

If your getting vibration in the steering wheel that could be a few other things, for instance, I know I have a RIM that is slightly bent and gives me a VERY SUBTLE shimmy/shake around 75-80mph. Something like that.

Also consider the wheel bearings. If the vibration occurs only while breaking, then the break rotors may just be warped.

I believe there was a Technical Service Bulletin about rear wheel bearings in the 2005 MY GT/XT...

I DEFINITELY need to do this. Did anyone have issues with a slight vibration at highway speeds? I am hoping this takes care of that issue, if not its off to get alignment :(

^^^ This tends to be it a LOT of the times

Just replaced pads and rotors on mine a few months back, and REALLY helped with vibrations/shimmey's etc

Bearings another good thing to check general health on, also may want to peak at your LCA bushings....

P.S. ALL things I've been working out over the past year or so, and the car feels MUCH tighter :D

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've been away for so long! :icon_cry: lol

Well almost a year later, I will FINALLY be replacing my power steering pump this weekend! :spin:

This thing HATES LIFE. Summer/heat it faded off, made it a little easier to ignore, but with the temps kicking in again, and thicker fluid etc, this thing is screaming in the mornings or after longer periods sitting idol. I can't wait to have it done

Interesting read, sorry to hear of your issues. I had a fender-bender February 2013 where I punted the rear of a CR-V and created some damage above my bumper. I was able to move my car off to the side, but the power steering was putting up a fight as the top of the radiator was pushed back and must have pinched off the PS lines somewhere as the fluid was pumping out of the reservoir cap. The body shop ended up having a pickle of a time getting things to work and kept my car a couple days extra to figure it out since they couldn't spot anything damaged. Well, my car has weeped PS fluid since I got it back in late March. My pump looked about like yours. Being lazy I just kept an eye on the fluid level, left it be and dealt with some minor odor from the fluid dripping on the exhaust when stopped at lights.

The past couple of weeks the odor issue has increased and I am now getting some shuddering when turning at any speed, but only occasionally. No belt squeaking so far. After ~15 minutes driving in the morning on the way to work I get some noticeable pump whirring in a straight line and it increases when turning. Funny thing that in the afternoon on the reverse drive home I either don't get any noise or very little. Now my pump is soaked in PS fluid, so I have a feeling something has finally given up the ghost. The fluid level is still between min/max, so I am at least good there.

I plan on visiting my body shop to see if they will still cover this under their workmanship warranty or if I can get my insurance company to pony up for it as it was a problem system from my accident. My original claim estimate called for a new PS pump, but I know they didn't replace it, so I hopefully can get this one replaced for free.

WELL! I popped the hood this past sunday, with the intention to knock out the oil change, the intercooler replacement and most importantly due to it's leaky noisy self the power steering pump... 2 of 3 I was able to complete no issues, but that being said, I now want to punch the engineers responsible for design in the mouth for making such a task as replacing a pump virtually a nightmare!

After closer inspection and removing the pulley and a couple bolts and belt, me and my buddy where looking around trying to figure out what we where missing that wasn't allowing us to break this pump free from it's position.... And what we find is that there is about a 4 inch bolt that anchors the bottom of the pump to it's mount, that is backed in from BEHIND the pump! Of course, why would it be put in from a direction that would make ANY serviceable sense. Further more, this bolt needing to be backed out towards the motor sits directly in front of the upper coolant intake line that runs into a metal/stationary pipe, which gets better... Sits UNDERNEATH the freaking Intake manifold!!!! And just to remove this one stupid bolt, to replace my pump, ALL of this shit has to come off! And essentially turned into a HUGE job! I'm a little perturbed.

So I can only wish that none of you have to replace your power steering pump, because it's ridiculously more involved then it should be.

Archived