LegacyGT.com

Raw Fuel smell after UP/DP, ?AP

I'm sorry if this particular question has been posted before. I would like some advice on where my problem could be coming from:

My '05 LGT was completely stock without any fuel smell issues whatsoever. Last summer I had my uppipe and downpipe switched out (cobb), cobb accessport installed, and dynotuned on that setup. There was an issue of the 3rd fuel injector malfunctioning, which was picked up early on while tuning. This was replaced with another used/functional one. The rest went smoothly - datalogs have been healthy -- from what I'm told...by a well-respected tuner. The car is running smoothly.

My only issue has been a significant amount of raw fuel smell. The smell is strictly coming from the rear exhausts only (and gets into the cabin quickly with windows down -- I have to run the car with windows up on recirc mode). There is no smell whatsover under the hood. I understand that after these tunes, the system can run rich. However, if I return my accessport settings back to stock, the fuel smell remains. Therefore, the only things that come to mind as being changed is the fuel injector, and the uppipe/downpipe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the fuel injector was still malfunctioning, I'd expect a rougher idle, smell under the hood, and datalogs to be off -- none of these are present. Does it have to do with catalytic converters with the pipe change? Or...??

I like the stock look/sound and not crazy about installing a catback exhaust, but if it means that it will channel smells away from the car, I will probably consider doing that...short of fixing the primary problem.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not too savvy diagnosing car problems to begin with so please excuse any of my ignorance. Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out -- not sure if it applies to me...

...It is a catted DP, but I believe the new UP is uncatted. The smell is always there from the moment the engine is turned on.

JJr...yup raw fuel (not the burnt smell). Thanks for the link -- I've looked into this also actually. However I've never had the cold weather fuel smell problem ever. My problem (as above) arose immediately after the above modifications -- in the summertime (80 degrees weather). It was definitely a noticeable smell that I had never experienced before. So I am less inclined to think that the temperature problem applies in my situation (?). I appreciate the link though...thank you!

My initial thoughts were the leaking fuel rail, but I noticed you said specifically that it doesn't come from under the hood so I didn't suggest it.

What's your AFR sensor reading at idle/low speed/low load driving?

Archived