LegacyGT.com

5MT gearbox vibration/whine above 4k rpm

aac0036

I have an '07 2.5i with just 44k on the clock. At low revs there's no noise whatsoever, but 4k rpm and above there's a really harsh chatter/whine from the gearbox and associated vibration with it. You can hear it over the engine at those revs... when I first got the car I figured it was just a loose trim piece on the center console buzzing or something, but it's definitely coming from the gearbox.

Might have nothing to do with it, but in neutral while idling the gearstick wobbles a little. Sometimes I have trouble getting reverse too, but I'm just throwing that out there.. don't think it's related. Kartboy SS is the only thing even remotely tranny related, but it did it before that too.

As far as I know it does this in every gear, so I don't think it's gear failure. I'm not sure.. I'll have to try. It definitely does it in 1st and 4th at least. Anybody? Thanks

Noise @10 seconds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxbntXIC-_I]Legacy gearbox noise - YouTube[/ame]

So I had the car looked at by Motive Auto in Woburn and we're working on the issue... The buzz and accompanying vibration can be felt through the gear stick at 4k rpm and does seem to be coming from the U-joint, linkage, or tranny.

He's going to try replacing the U-joint to see if that solves the problem.

07 44k miles, might still be under the factory 5 year, 60,000 mile warrenty

I'm not the first owner.

There have been a couple of these cars with bad U joints. So it may be.

If you can test drive the car with one of the guy's in the back seat, he may be able to tell where the sound is coming from.

Before my rear diff went, I could have swornen it was the tranny making all that noise.

rear Wheel bearings will also make the tranny sound bad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived