LegacyGT.com

Putting the Wagon on the Road

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All;

Just finished the oil pump reseal job. Looked like the o-ring and gasket sealer failed. Checked and replaced cam and crankshaft (oil pump) seals. Hard and brittle, but just starting to leak. Water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and rollers were good. My cam sprocket tool worked great! Going on a 400 mile trip to check this out, Steven.

Hello Monkey;

I checked out the cam tower O-rings and mine were not leaking. The left cam seal and the crankshaft seal were starting to leak, leaving a trail of oil. The right cam seal was starting to weep. The seals were hard and worn out! The biggest probelm was the O-ring and the failure of the sealing compond on the back of the oil pump. The notched roller by the water pump was starting to make noise. Was able to pop out the seals and wash out the bearing and repack with grease. All is good now and will report after I put a few miles on the Wagon, Steven.

Hello All;

Went on my 400 mile trip and logged about 30mpg. Car ran fine except for some hesitation when I mashed the throttle down. Cruising down the hiway at 80mph, no problem! Today was busy cleaning the injector connectors (electrical), fuel filter, and installed the new O2 sensor. Should have seen the junk that flowed out of the filter, no wonder the filter was plugged. The SG36 universal O2 sensor seems to be working fine. I would recommend one of these. The last two items that need to address is cleaning the MAF sensor with cleaner and change the oil and filter. I will keep posting on any future developments, Steven.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All;

Completed the oil change and pulled the MAF sensor that was gleaned from the Pull & Pay. Sprayed this down with the CRC maf cleaner and made a difference. Smoother idle, more power and less hesitation. Thinking of investing in some Seafoam and pour this down the intake and put the rest into the gas tank, as others have reported. Seems that everything that has been done has made an improvement in performance and gas mileage. Am looking to pull the injectors out of this in the future. Anyone here have some good advice to give? Thanks, Steven.

Hello All;

Had a little time today, in between jobs and thought I would invest some time and pulled my injectors. Wow, the filter screens looked to be dirty! I cleaned these up the best I could. I think in the near future that a spare set will be acquired and sent off to get cleaned, new filter screens, and O-rings. At $22.00 a piece, considering this would be well worth it! Steven.

i had that problem too. poured seafoam down the throttle body with the car off and let it sit for about 20 mins. then got it to idle on it's own. nothing out the tail pipe for like 2-3 mins. snap the throttle and boom. big shot of white smoke. waited like 5 mins or so and snapped it again. started to turn blue. cleaned up the crap in the motor. felt a huge difference. and regained all power above 4k.

I've used sea foam with good results. I have yet to try but want to sbt's concoction:
Seafoam in the gas tank... or use my concoction (compliments of SeeeeeeYa). 4oz of Techron Concentrate + 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil + 4oz of Acetone (total 12oz) and make two 12oz batches. Mix the three items together, and put 12oz it into your full gas tank, drive it until near empty, then add the 2nd 12oz batch and refill your tank. Injectors, combustion chamber, and downstream catalysts will all be cleaned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All;

Well it looks like I am on to the next project on the car. Will be doing a alignment on the rear wheels. The toe-in needs to be addressed on this, two of the support bars are actually bent. Will report when I get knee deep in this. May actually have to buy some parts, Steven.

Hello All;

It was a beautiful day here in Denver and decided to make good use of it. Jacked up the rear end, blocked her up, and tore everything apart. My car being fwd, this was not a hard job. Had to drop the muffler down and take the bolts out of the subframe (passenger side) to remove the bolts holding the four lower arms. Wow the arms were bent, but took the 6lb copper hammer and gently straightened them out. Cleaned everthing up, assembled, and aligned the back wheels. Took about 4 1/2 hours from start to finish. The car is handling mucho bettero, and the tires should quit wearing on the insides. The toe-in toe-out was out 5/16", now I am close with 1/16" to the front. Close enough for me, Steven.

Hello All;

I have had an ongoing issue with my car, driving around town fine, but when power was needed hesitation ensued. Falling flat for awhile, then picking up speed. I have tested and replaced every component in this car, but have suspected the ECU for a long time! Recently I fixed a 1991 Eagle Talon 2.0l n/a for a client. Turned out that the ECU was at fault. To make a long story short, replacing 3 capacitors that cost me $1.00, fixed his ECU. I used the same logic on my car and replaced 4 capacitors in my computer. Wow!! No more hesitation, I didn't know my car had so much power!! If you need more information just ask, Steven.

Hello All;

Was under the car checking for oil leaks and noticed that the rack boots are getting wet and the drivers side boot was dripping fluid on the exhaust pipe. I emptied the power steering resevior and filled this up with Lucas rack and pinion sealer. This has worked on other cars I have serviced. The ECU capacitor replacement is working fine, the hesistation is gone and the wagon is running like a new car! Steven.

Hello Salt Lake;

Sorry, seeing how this is my primary car, did not have the time to document the surgery. But the next one I do, an effort will be made. Funny how four filter capacitors have made such a difference. I will be doing a four hundred mile jaunt next week and ensuing mileage report given. Right now cruising in fourth gear at 45mph, the gas pedal is just above the idle and seems I have feather the throttle back to keep the speed down. Should have done this quite a while ago and fixing the DSM made me put two and two together! Steven.

Hello All;

The next project on the books is a coil update. The next time I go to the pull and pay a coil will be pulled from a late model Neon. My thinking is the late style coil should be hotter than my diamond coil present on the car now! And if needed a MSD unit would be a drop in having already updated mounting plate and plug ends. Seeing a small increase in fuel mileage too since the ECU upgrade. Steven.

Hello All;

Was under the hood today checking the oil, noticed that the oil sender (sensor) is just starting to fail. Ordered one off of Ebay for about $8.00 sent to my door. You might check yours, common failure. Turns out that the Lucas power steering conditioner (rack/pinion) has done its job. No more leaks, thought I might have pan or rear seal/separator issues but turned out to be the p/s. At least the engine does not have to be pulled, Steven.

Archived