LegacyGT.com

clunking in steering component

It's not a clunk related to a certain number of revolutions or anything. It's play in the wheel. I can get a dull clunk just by moving the wheel back and forth slightly. When you really notice it is when driving on a dirt road, where the wheel would normally be rattling back and forth. At that point it makes a racket and it sounds like the steering wheel is barely connected, lol. It's definitely a sound coming from my side of the firewall though.

I know you tried tightening the bolts on the universal, but I am positive it is where your noise is coming from because I had all the same exact symptoms you are describing. I would def try taking the bolts out and cleaning all threads and lubing everything up and re tightening it all down good.

I have the same issue with my LGT. If my cars not running and I quicky shake my steering wheel I hear a clunk. Now since my friend and his son both own LGT's I checked theirs and they both do it. I'm curious to see if it's just the linkage bolts so I will check and tighten if nessesary and report back.

As far as the rack deal, I've never had to replace a rack in a Subaru in 15yrs in the biz from normal wear and tear. Now smacking a curb is a different story.

I have that same problem only the clunk sound coming from the passenger side front when I hit a speed bump or something...I was thinking to check my tophat or strutmount, my balljoints and tierods need to be replaced as well...my car had been leaking oil for a couple years before I swapped the motor and everything underneath is in bad shape.

The steering rack needs replacement with the brackets and rubber bushings because it seems loose and I bumpsteer and torquesteer quite a bit..I got lots to do before I know my self what the deal is with that noise..Saturday I am getting a used rack from a 98 impreza so I will report my success or failure

As far as Spooln and Stang70, I know the exact symptoms you describe cause I had the same thing. When going over train tracks the sudden jerking of the steering wheel will make the clunk and it feels like its right inside the steering wheel. Also when stationary, car off you can jerk the steering wheel slightly back n forth and it will make the little clunk sound. If that is what you are describing it is 100 percent related to the universal joint that attaches to the steering column from the rack. maybe you will need to completely remove the U joint and clean all surfaces, lube well and try using new bolts... torque them nicely and also make sure you line the notch up on both the rack and steering column properly with the bolt going through the U joint.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found and fixed the clunking. Turned out the be that the nut on the top of my strut was a bit loose, not the three that bolt it to the car but the single one in the middle.

Normally I could never replicate the clunk with out actually driving but for some reason I decided to go give it a try today in the garage. I took the dust boot off and while pushing down on the car I could see that nut was moving up and down. Its just nice to experience this car for the first time without this loud constant clunk.

• 4 years later...
It's not the ball joint. It wouldn't cause that kind of play. This issue is an internal rack gear issue. I have the same problem with my car. If you take the steering wheel and shift it back and forth short, quick, and consistently you will here the clunk. I'm not sure if it's a worn input gear or a worn rail that's causing the problem. It could be both, but you won't know unless you take it off.

Old thread I know but I have this same issue.. I noticed it when I was trying to turn the wheel with the car off when it's running you don't get it but it has me wondering if it's something with the rack or the tie rods.

Archived