LegacyGT.com

Resurface or not

Burba88

I just bought a act hdss for my lgt I'm getting ready to do stage 3 and I originally planned on buying a new wrx fly wheel but my buddy knows someone who is selling a used wrx flywheel for $50 witch obviously I would get resurfaced but I really don't know much about that I just want everything to be done correct so I'm asking for some of you guys to chime in and help me
KMT Tuned

I'm not sure exactly what advice you're looking for, but yes, a used flywheel should definitely be resurfaced, and that's not a DIY job; you need to take it to a machine shop. Before you buy it, after making sure it's from a compatible year WRX of course, make sure the teeth on the outside aren't all mangled up and the surface isn't cracked or badly gouged. Some glazing and light surface scratching is normal and to be expected; the resurfacing will take care of that. In the unlikely event that the flywheel is fubar'ed, the machinist will let you know. Prices vary but I'd expect in the $50 range for the service, so it will save you some dough versus $260 for a new one.

Archived