LegacyGT.com

Oil pressure at turbo

I would tend to agree, but if the crack is close to the level of the oil in the pan, any sloshing of the oil may temporarily expose the crack and allow it to briefly suck in air

99.6% of the time the crack is within an inch of the pickup flange/block. So the only time the level is close is when the car isn't running. Once the car is running the level drops well below this point.

What causes the intermittent behavior could be any number of things (oil sloshing, running down from above, suction from the pump, etc.) but irrelevant, because there is no way to use this information to verify or test for a broken pickup. The good'ol mechanical gauge is going to give you an answer right away.

• 3 months later...
Yep. Scraps of wood, chunk of metal, and anything that would make a good spacer will work.

One thing that isn't in that procedure that we recently came across was loosening the pitch stop. I don't know why it happened on this particular car recently, but when we jacked the engine (from either pan, manifold or tranny) it would lift and tip making the motor mount bolts not line up for droping back down. This was frustrating to say the least, and required a few people pushing, pulling and lowering to get the engine to drop back down. Once the pitch stop bolts were loosened, it went up/down perfectly straight :) Just a tip in case you should run into that scenario.

Thanks for this.. I couldn't get the engine to drop without loosening the pitch stop

I had the same issue with my Subaru. Low oil pressure. Read about 10 psi at a idle and at about 5000 rpm's it was only at like 28-30. Took oil pump apart and found metal fragments in it and the oil pan. Also in the pickup tube.

Archived