LegacyGT.com

Why the hood scoop and spoiler?

I thought I explained it clearly, but I guess not.

Think of the engine bay as a box. Air comes in through a hole in the front and out through a hole in the back. If we cut an extra hole in the front of the box, we need an extra hole in the back of the box to keep things even. Without it, the pressure in that box increases and slows down the air coming in. If you slow down the air coming into the engine bay, you slow down the air coming through the radiator and reduce the cooling ability.

But since I can't seem to explain this logically why don't we look at the real world. No production car anywhere has a hood scoop that is not feeding a cooler. If hood scoops "got rid of heat twice as fast" then you would think every car in the world would have one. But they don't. Our cars have scoops that are just there for looks and Subaru blocked them off for a reason. If it actually improved cooling don't you think they would be open?

Now look at production based race cars. No scoops there either- just vents. Prodrive fought with Subaru for years over the scoop because it was bad for cooling and aerodynamics but it was part of the "brand image" and the racing budget comes from marketing. So they ended up sealing the scoop to the air intake. They also ducted the radiator and intercooler to prevent any unwanted air from entering the engine bay.

So jamal what your saying is the hood scoop being open and the larger it is, the better and more air flow you'll get right?

::snicker:: :lol:

(I had too)

Think of the engine bay as a box. Air comes in through a hole in the front and out through a hole in the back. If we cut an extra hole in the front of the box, we need an extra hole in the back of the box to keep things even. Without it, the pressure in that box increases and slows down the air coming in. If you slow down the air coming into the engine bay, you slow down the air coming through the radiator and reduce the cooling ability.

i totally get what youre saying. but in reality, that scoop is fairly small, our top speed and drag coefficient are so bland that pulling your hood off wouldnt make much performance difference. in your analogy, we already have the back of the box cut out, so another small hole in the front wont change the ehxaust of that air by much. if we were talking a purpose-built racer, then i would totally agree with you. that suspension would have to be tuned correctly, and any airflow under that chassis would have to be tightly regulated to keep that sucker on the ground not only when it hit those high speeds, but during launch and high bursts of acceleration. i dont think any NA legacy or lightly turboed car really has to worry about that in everyday conditions.

But since I can't seem to explain this logically why don't we look at the real world. No production car anywhere has a hood scoop that is not feeding a cooler. If hood scoops "got rid of heat twice as fast" then you would think every car in the world would have one. But they don't. Our cars have scoops that are just there for looks and Subaru blocked them off for a reason. If it actually improved cooling don't you think they would be open?

Now look at production based race cars. No scoops there either- just vents. Prodrive fought with Subaru for years over the scoop because it was bad for cooling and aerodynamics but it was part of the "brand image" and the racing budget comes from marketing. So they ended up sealing the scoop to the air intake. They also ducted the radiator and intercooler to prevent any unwanted air from entering the engine bay.

Even if air comes in for cooling, you have the bumper cover, grille, & even the radiator acting as air rams, forcing a lot of the air around the car since it cannot go through the car

Both the front of the car & the hood scoop combined cannot possibly flow enough air during movement to match the open areas on the sides of the engine & the sides of the transmission so if anything, the "exhaust" is far larger than the "intake", so to speak & what comes in, goes right out almost immediately.

Hood scoops are not mass produced on that level because cars generally don't need that kind of cooling & the hood scoops for the 2nd gen are not designed like the STi breadboxes. It would make perfect sense for anyone to want to get rid of an STi hood scoop. Legacy hood scoops are flush with their hoods. Always have been. So their aerodynamic disadvantage isn't even close to what STis & WRXs have.

Having a hood scoop on a non-turbo car doesn't help it as much as it would on a turbo car but it does work in dissipating the heat well & works best in getting rid of heat when the car isn't in motion because it is an outlet as well as an inlet. It's an option to switch it out & gain a little in aerodynamic efficiency or the hood scoop can be kept to keep the heat down.

Of all the hood scoop threads that I have read this has been the most informative and well stated. I like the way my hood scoop looks so that is the main reason I swapped a scooped hood on my wagon. I have plans to do a motor swap someday and make it functional. My scoop is open underneath and my temp gauge runs a few degrees cooler compared to my original non-scooped hood. But my n/a 22E isn't exactly the fastest motor on the planet, lol.

Archived