LegacyGT.com

Suspension Options

Hey everyone,

I have a 1991 Legacy Wagon. It has around 125,000 miles on it and I've owned it for about 18 months now. I've noticed some "clunky" sounds coming from the front-end area while going over certain bumpy road conditions, and sometimes a rattling/vibration at high speeds (65mph on highways) that only really occurs when merging or turning the wheel to the right.

I'm not positive, but I think it could be a bad shock absorber or bushing somewhere in the suspension. I don't know if the previous owners had the shocks replaced or anything, so I'm guessing it could be at the point of it's life where it's failing.

I'm also thinking about installing either a 2" or 4" lift kit from SJR, but had read on another forum that you can get a quick and easy 2" lift on an Impreza by installing Forrester struts.

My question is, what kind of options do I have with my '91 Legacy as far as struts/shocks etc? Do certain Forrester struts fit exactly, or close to exact without major modifications?

Thanks!

The forester struts should bolt right in. The springs should work up front relatively easily, maybe just a tophat change. The backs i know for the pre-facelift you need a tapered type spring like found on a 04-07 wrx. I'm not sure what year foresters had the tapered springs. If they aren't tapered in the back you could always change for the wider rear tophats out of a 93-94.

Archived