LegacyGT.com

Leaking fuel pump seal - possibly from E85?

I was leaving a small puddle of fuel in the driveway every time I parked with a full tank of gas, so I checked it out and it was clearly seeping from the rubber seal that mates the fuel pump to the tank. Replaced the $10 gasket (part# 42025AG04A) and everything's fixed.

The old gasket looked good enough - no obvious cracks or degradation. I run straight E85 in the summers, and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. Anyone else have issues with E85 causing leaks?

DW pumps are e-85 tested and certified. 3 year warranty even when using e-85.

e-85 is much like corn whiskey. It will eat through all kinds of materials. Also dont recommend sitting on it for long periods (in the car). While it maintains its octane better than gasoline, it can varnish a tank and gum up injectors. It is also hygroscopic.

I have been told you should pickle the injectors rather than let them sit with e-85.

But my in house test went better than expected. I let a tank of e-85 sit for 8 months in the car. Tank was perfect. Pulled the injectors and sent them to RC for cleaning/testing/balance. Turned out far cleaner than most I send in.

But, rather than ask members to repeat my test for scientific purposes, it is easier to go with what I was taught. For long term storage, drain the fuel. If by chance the system was not air tight, the fuel could absorb moisture from the air and that would be bad.

I have been told you should pickle the injectors rather than let them sit with e-85.

But my in house test went better than expected. I let a tank of e-85 sit for 8 months in the car. Tank was perfect. Pulled the injectors and sent them to RC for cleaning/testing/balance. Turned out far cleaner than most I send in.

LALGT's car?

Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

• 10 months later...
Did you do anything special when you installed the new one? I replaced my fuel pump with a DW and also replaced the gasket a few months ago. Whenever I fill the tank I can smell fuel from the car, I pulled the seat and cover plate and found the culprit. I used a shop towel and confirmed its seeping on the inside of the ring, no seepage on the outside. Before I replace it I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm using pump gas if it makes a difference, no E85.

Archived