LegacyGT.com

DIY Hitch?

Vahkil

I am in the pre-planning stage of thinking up a way to make a Do-It-Yourself Hitch for my sedan for the sole purpose of attaching a hitch bike rack. Anyone else out there already do this?

I am interested in making brackets that are permanently attached to the frame and come down near the mufflers but out of sight of a person standing near the car. The crossbar and hitch portion will be detachable from these brackets, so I don't have to look at an ugly hitch while I'm not hauling bikes. This is all kind of just in my head as I have not taken any measurements what-so-ever.

I am simply pinging the crowd here to see what the thoughts are about this. I think I can easily build it for under the going $150 for a Hidden Hitch (not to mention the added aesthetic value of a removable hitch).

good luck! if you can make it and make it safe and is more eye pleasing than the hidden hitch than perhaps you can market them.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived