LegacyGT.com

$0.16 BOV mod on NASIOC

^ Right on.

It's likely that the surface area of the bottom of the diaphragm is actually smaller than on the top - to allow for the piston shaft. In other words the downwards force on the top is bigger than on the upwards force on the bottom. So it is possible it takes some more pressure than the spring rate to open the valve.

However, the stock USDM BPV's spring is indeed much stronger than 8 lbs.

Since the JDM STI BPV design is different (and works more like mwiener2 think the USDM one works), it's spring is much weaker - does not need to be as strong, since there is no pressure is applied to the bottom of the diaphragm (or, more correctly only atmospheric ressure is applied).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BBB, it looks like you have not taken into account the hole that supplies manifold pressure to the bottom of the diaphragm, essentially cancelling out the pressure supplied to the top via the skinny hose. Well, they probably do not exactly cancel each other out, because there may be difference in the area size (and due to pressure drop).

that was the whole point of the measurement I took, unless we are talking about different things. the reason I added the different cracking pressure estimates based on the pressure drop between the spot the BOV sits at and the manifold is because I was accounting for the pressures on either side of the actuator diaphragm. the unbalanced force due to the difference in pressure across the diaphragm was added to the force due to boost pressure on the valve, then subtracted from the spring preload. the best case is one where the BOV experiences the same pressure as the manifold. in that case, the force from the diaphragm is nearly zero and the valve is held shut by just the spring. for that case we just need to deal with the area of the valve subject to boost pressure and the spring preload. if there is pressure drop between the spot the BOV sits at and the manifold, the force on the diaphragm serves to effectively drop the spring preload, with a commensurate decrease in valve cracking pressure.

I did eventually xray the part and confirm the sizing, but that was years ago. the actual sizes were close to my initial estimate based on external measurements so I never bothered re-calculating things.

Measure the spring pressure of the bov. That would be the maximum pressure our bov could hold before leaking based on your theory of how this thing works. What are you going to say when you find out that spring is only 8psi or so, yet these hold 18psi no problem?

the measurements I took 5 years ago kinda support this. there's a difference in the explanation for the effect though.

if you pull the pressure reference line, the valve opens really early. you have (boost pressure - atm pressure) acting over the diaphragm area, decreasing the preload on the valve. the calculated cracking pressure was around 6 psi and the field test indicated max boost around 8 psi, which is roughly inline with a valve cracking at 6 and quite a bit more open at 8. but this isn't because the spring is light. it is because the difference in pressure across the diaphragm is subtracting from the preload the spring was giving. a direct measurement of the preload and area would give ~28 psi cracking pressure, but that is assuming the pressures on both sides of the diaphragm are matched. in normal operation, as long as the throttle plate is open, both sides of the diaphragm see nearly the same pressure. this is why the bo valve is able to stay shut at higher boost pressures.

BBB, ok it was not clear from your old post. The 28 psi is the ideal case, right? Due to the pressure drop and the presumed variance in BPV stock rates, it be would be the explanation for the leakage at lower (<20 psi) boost levels?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/upgrading-stock-bpv-hold-20-psi-131596.html

a while back I thought mine was leaking so I made some measurements on the unit. The valve diameter is about an inch and the spring preload is over 23 lbs. assuming there is no pressure drop between the port drilled into the IC side flange and the small hose nipple, the force from the actuator is solely from the spring. under these conditions, it takes ~29 psi just to crack the valve.

at partial throttle I can see there being enough of a pressure drop between the two points to greatly lower the cracking pressure, but the boost targets shouldn't be that high at mid throttle anyway. at WOT, I can't see there being a big enough pressure drop to significantly lower the cracking pressure. that being said, there's probably a fair bit of preload variation from unit to unit.

But don't take his word for it. Push on it with your fingertips with all your might. With any luck, you'll hurt your fingers and stop posting for a while.:icon_twis

Here are some testing vids I made.

My stock BOV may be broken. It lets a lot of air past at 10 psi.

The Turbosmart lets out an acceptable amount of air.

Stock

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_StockBOV.jpg

Turbosmart

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_Turbosmart.jpg

ALL BOVs leak to some degree. It's a moving part (piston) and thus must have just a tiny bit of clearance between between the walls. The question is what is the rate at which you leak? BTW, thanks for the video. :)

Here are some testing vids I made.

My stock BOV may be broken. It lets a lot of air past at 10 psi.

I'm really disappointed in my Turbosmart. It lets air past at 10 psi, though much less air than the stocker. If you listen close you can hear the pressure release when I lift my hand off the outlet. Pretty sad.

Stock

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_StockBOV.jpg

Turbosmart

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_Turbosmart.jpg

Modify the stock OEM valve. Redo the test.

Report relative results.

ALL BOVs leak to some degree. It's a moving part (piston) and thus must have just a tiny bit of clearance between between the walls. The question is what is the rate at which you leak? BTW, thanks for the video. :)

You're welcome. I love testing things and sharing the results.

You are right about air getting past the piston. I never thought about that. The Turbosmart doesn't have a diaphragm, so the air presses directly on the back of the piston. The air leaking isn't getting past the o-ring seal at the bottom of the piston, but rather getting around the sides of the piston from the top. So it is definitly an acceptable leak. I changed my comments in the previous post to reflect that. I'm happy with it again :)

I disagree that all BOVs leak to some degree. I had a recirculated Tial Q on a different car that wouldn't let any air out during 35 psi boost leak tests.

On to the new tests. I did all of them again, but this time I tested the Turbosmart to a higher pressure and tested a modded stocker.

Stock test #2

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_StockBOV2.jpg

Modded stock valve

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_ModifiedStockBOV.jpg

Turbosmart test #2

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/bkatter/BOV%20testing/th_Turbosmart2.jpg

Does this need a re-tune due to higher flow at high psi?

What kind of psi could a bnr16g realistically flow with 650cc injectors, walbro, only the last cat left in the pipes? My lgt20dig is reporting up to 21 psi at times, but the sensor max is around 22 psi, IIRC, so I'm not sure if I'm hitting the sensor limits or not..

I disagree that all BOVs leak to some degree. I had a recirculated Tial Q on a different car that wouldn't let any air out during 35 psi boost leak tests.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. All piston based diaphragm-less BOVs leak to some degree. :)

Don't really understand why your stock unmodded BOV is leaking that much though. That sounds like a pretty insane amount...

The value of the sixteen cent mod lies in what it does to the engine characteristics commonly termed driveability, not the absolute and sole reference to pressure containment. How much it does or does not leak is important, but a side consideration as most day to day driving is done at less than WOT, and indeed the boost involved may lie within the OEM BPV's ability to contain it. Those who keep the OEM BPV stock will not understand.

A Forge valve does the same thing, set up properly. But it costs a lot more than sixteen cents to nothing. Those with these valves are aware of what it does to driving characteristics.

Vehicles with per-gear tuning, where full boost is available in first gear on up, are essentially hobbled by an unmodified OEM BPV or lack of proper AM valve.

Those satisfied by the unmodified OEM BPV system are satisfied by pedestrian performance.

While everyone is entitled to their choice without criticism, what is discussed here is measurable comparative phenomena. Logging measures relative differences. It is what it is.

Archived