LegacyGT.com

Best oil for new engine break in?

lucas also has a additive to use for new motor breakins, just need it today getting stuff for my oil change... pepboys..

as for oil i use rotella 5/40 with a half a qrt of lucas oil stabilizer.... but my motor isnt new so ... shes yound with 52k on it but not new

When I get my motor back I was thinking of starting the car and idle for 30 minutes or untill warm up and then dump the oil out. Would doing this harm the ring seats ?

That's standard practice after a rebuild. Start it, let it run until the fans turn on, then drain the oil and change the filter.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

When I get my motor back I was thinking of starting the car and idle for 30 minutes or untill warm up and then dump the oil out. Would doing this harm the ring seats ?

That's standard practice after a rebuild. Start it, let it run until the fans turn on, then drain the oil and change the filter.

Hey, where have I heard that before ?

Both my cars are on Amsoil European 5w-40 and will change to the new Full SASP next oil change.

The GF's 08 Ford Escape is on Amsoil 5w-20. Can't remember which one, I just go to the order history and re-order.

If HAMMERDOWN hadn't convinced me, I'd run Castrol or Rotella t6. I like the 40 for a turbo car. Having said that, the wagon spent the first 154,000 miles on whatever dino oil was on sale and Fram filters. The engine ran great.

So like BAC5.2 is saying, it really doesn't matter, just change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To add, after break in. Want your turbo & motor to last a long time. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use whatever oil & filter that will protect for the OCI's your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Some good reliability pointers;

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reliability-modifications-178342.html?t=178342&highlight=reliability

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived