LegacyGT.com

99 OBL Phase2 to Phase1 4EAT swap questions..

Okay, so I have a Phase1 4EAT in my 98 OBL that works great. The 4EAT in the 99 OBL that I'm planning on buying from my ex has a bunch of issues that I have no idea what it's going to take to fix.

I'm hoping I can swap over my Phase1 into the 99 OBL with some simple swaps like the TCU and the wiring harness. I don't know I anyone has done this before, but does anyone have knowledge on the differences between the cars and the way the transimmsions are hooked up? Is it as simple as a harness and TCU swap? Or is it more complicated than that? I haven't had any time to look in to it.

Thanks guys!

• I Donated

johnegg would be the guy to ask for a definite answer....

but I'm going to say it can't be done. TCU and ECU talk with each other so you may run into problems in that respect

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

no one has done this. this is a line that is really hard to cross. so much so that any one in the know recommends against trying.

the way you present it makes it sound doable, especially when you think about the engine swaps that some folks have accomplished. but i do not know of any one who has even tried, much less been successful.

the phase 2 trans has several more ''speed sensors'' than the phase 1 trans. (i assume they are speed sensors, they are EXACTLY like the rear speed sensor on the rear extension housing of the phase 1. i do not have any idea what they are ''sensing'' but that is what they are.) this means more wires in the harness and a different connector. it also means different programming and a different TCU.

you are better off selling the one you have and buying the one you need, even if it cost you a bit.

www.car-part.com for parts, you will have to search each model and year separately.

the 99 outback can use the (99) 00 - 04 outback trans.

or the 00 - 04 forester trans.

or the 00 - 04 GT trans (maybe the 99) but the speedo will be a off.

good luck.

• I Donated

I bought my 4EAT complete with starter, torque converter, wiring, sensors, and crossmember for $150.

They can be had for cheap if you know how to shop

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Or if you are lucky like me and brok and have access to pick n pulls with tons of Subarus.

ive not found that magical pick n pull here in the valley yet, most of what i find is either 80s models or first gen. 2nd gen are few and far between in the yards ive been to.

• I Donated
ive not found that magical pick n pull here in the valley yet, most of what i find is either 80s models or first gen. 2nd gen are few and far between in the yards ive been to.

If there is anything specific you're looking for let me know and I'll take a peek next time I'm out. Since you're local we can meet

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I do know there are definitely a number of different things just from the first time I drove it. The throttle itself has a much shorter range of motion, the shifter also clicks very differently. So, I'm also going to find an ECU from a 2.5 that was paired with a Phase 1 trans (I don't have the one that came with the 98). I'll swap that and anything else associated with the trans. I'm going to be going through wirin diagrams and whatnot. I'll be tearing everything a part in the 98 to remove everything associated with the trans in the 98.

First, I'll be looking into the internal parts of the Phase 2 to see what might be wrong. If it's more than a few hundred dollars I'll try the swap. If that doesnt work, I dont know.... I'll probably just trade it in as is. I'm not spending the money on a new transmission. There go for almost a grand here.

If anyone on here can find me one that I can buy and crate to myself for $400 or less I might do that. Let me know if you guys find anything.

Archived