LegacyGT.com

DIY OEM Navi into an 05 Legacy

After looking through this it doesn't look like this can be 100%plug and play witch sucks because having the ability to make a plug and play harness for us 05ers would be nice. But atleast all but 2 wires can be plug and play. If I could find a Male/Female(forward/reverse) connector for either the i84(35pin grey connector on the BIU) or the i10(22pin green connector on the Gauge Cluster) then it would be plug and play. I'm going to reach out to Tyco sometime this week to see if I can find out if this is possible. I've done searching for these connectors for the past 6 hours with no luck.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went ahead and ordered an OP Harness from Japanparts.com. Order hasn't processed yet but hopefully will see it in a month or so in the mean time I am trying to get a hold of someone to see about a custom i10 or i84 harness for the 2 CAN-BUS wires. Wish we had it like the 06+ where they have a BUS splitter(a connector that splices the wires nicely) I think I may have also found out where to get our ever so hard to find 16pin connector. The 20pin connector for the audio is not hard to find since that connector is used for many things on the 08+ Legacys like Ipod connections and Sat radio. I am going to go out and confirm this for everyone and buy these connectors.

Little bit of an update while searching around the internet I found some connectors from TYCO/AMP. I had put down a number for a 16pin and a 20pin connector from TYCO that you can buy on the first page. The 20pin connector fits just fine in our OEM Navi units while the 16pin is far smaller then the 20pin(if you look at a back shot of the Navi Screen you can see the 16pin is much larger than the 20 pin). With this being said I have a few more parts that I am waiting on from Mouser to get here(should be here tomorrow 1/5/13). I will keep you all updated to see if maybe I found a solution in finding an OEM connector for most of the time when purchasing an OEM Navi just a DVD drive and GPS Wires are included no the actually 10, 16, & 20 pin connectors. I know you can find the 10pin connectors with wires from kenwood and now know what part numbers for the 20 pin or if you cant find just get an adapter harness. So my quest for everyone is finding a 16pin harness.

I have decided to put up 3 types of installs for the OEM Navi. Which one you want to do is up to you. I have recieved the Radio Harness today and will ghetto rigg it to show everyone how it should be hooked up. I will have a few pictures up shortly of the wiring. I'm trying to find a male and female connector for our 22 pin(i10) Gauge cluster. I have found the part number just need to find out how to obtain it. This will allow me to make a fully plug and play harness for the 05 Legacy people.

1. Clock connector

2. Radio Harness

3. OP connector

Think I may have found a plug and play solution for our 05's I'm going to order some connectors from Mouser and see if it's what I need. I'm also talking with Tyco Electrics to see about finding some of the 16 pin connectors for the Navi Screen. This connector is the hardest to find and if I can get a few of them it would make it a little easier to get them since I'll have them in my hands.

EDIT: I am also going to be redoing the entire writeup to suit what is needed.

Update: I will be getting all the info ready and put up on here by next week since I will be out of work on the 13th(laid-Off) but my new job doesn't start until the 4th of February. So I am going to stop messing around and get you guys the proper Writeup for everything. I am ordering a few more connectors to have on hand to see if I can make up a PLUG & PLAY Harness for a lucky person if it works out well for me. This way down the road if the car needs to go bye bye I can remove all the Navi stuff and sell it to another person.

Op connector has arrived. Funny that it is OEM, would be cool to be able to get it through Subaru dealers. Anyway will be getting my i10 Male/Female connectors tomorrow and hopefully my clock connectors from a fellow member. Once I get all of these I will have the 3 ways of wiring up you Navi to an 05 Legacy as well I may have a few plug and play harnesses. After looking at the harness I see that they have left 1 wire un-accounted for This is pin 10. What we will need to do is cut and solder in an extension for this due to the fact that without this pin the Illumination on the Navi itself will not dimm down when done so by the Dimmer switch. I am actually going to cut off the Bullet connectors and solder all my stuff then wrap it up to make it look like it is an added on wire loom(aka plug and play). BTW I am NOT USING THE CLOCK CONNECTOR. I am just wiring it up for the purpose of this install to show everyone the different ways to go about this install. I am going to upload some pics of the connectors I am going to be using for this install right now.

Just finished up a Plug & Play Harness for the i10(Instrument Cluster). Let's just say I now realize how shitty my Soldering skills really are when I have to Wire into Pins! I don't think I will be doing that again. Tomorrow I am going to try and wire up the Harness for the Clock. Once that is done I will wire my i10 Harness to the Navi Screen as well as run from the Navi harness to the OP Connector. BTW I can confirm that the SpecB Harness I bought has an OP Connector on it. So This is good news for the 05-06 owners. I have yet to confirm on the 07-09. There is a chance the 07 might have one as well since most of the stuff in the 07's match the 05-06's.

Here is my wire Harness:

i10 Male/Female connector

i50 DVD Drive Connector

i90 Navi Screen Power/Info Connector

B228 OP Connector.

Besides my shitty wiring on the i10 connector I have a problem with the OP connectors Grounded wire for ILL- for some reason I don't think it connects to the right place since my ILL switch doesn't work for dimming the info bar on the navi screen.

20130117_172013.jpg

If anyone is up for needing one of these plug and play harnesses they are not cheap. Reason being is the OP and DVD drive connectors are not cheap. I would say for myself this Harness costed me a good $140 or so

OP Connector - $50.00 Shipped

i10 Connectors - $5.00 Shipped

i90 Navi Connector - $5.00 Shipped(Hard To Find)

i91 Navi Audio Connector - $5.00

i50 DVD Drive Harness from Kenwood - $75.00 Shipped

Everything you see in the picture minus the i91 20pin audio connector that goes to the i88 harness. Thankfully Subaru still uses those connectors so they are easy to find. I'm actually going to try and make an extra harness I just have to wait for some cash to come in to get the OP connector and kenwood harness. The cool thing I found out about the i90 16 pin connector is that it uses the same style pins as a Radio Harness.

• 7 months later...

Gonna start ordering the parts to start the process!

You offering a service for plug and play harness? I have the round connector harness between the DVD and Screen and an antenna wire (single wire) that's with it, I need everything else!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived