LegacyGT.com

DIY OEM Navi into an 05 Legacy

Hello Everyone Welcome to a how to OEM Navi install.

In here I will show you how to install an OEM Navigation unit into a NON-Navi car.

As of right now I can only confirm that this install is for 05-06 Legacy's but this might change over time.(1/15/13)

Part number List:

GPS Antenna - 86277AG12A

Navi Screen - 86281AG12A

DVD Drive - 86271AG04A

Caution Label - 91502XA00A(not needed but will get to make it look OEM)

DVD Drive/GPS Antenna cord Drive/Navi Screen - 86273AG00A

DVD Drive 10 pin connector Harness(Kenwood Site only) - E30-4964-05

Tyco 16 pin connector(rear of Navi Screen) - 174147-2(Very Hard to Find)

Tyco 20 pin connector(rear of Navi Screen) - 174047-2(Easy to find since Subaru still uses it)

14pin Radio Harness(forward & Reverse is needed)Contact SVXdc for this since the ones from Metra are missing the ILL- wire

Op connector from Subaru Japan(get from Japanparts.com) JDM Part No: H0077AG021

040. 10 pin Clock Connector(easternbeaver.com) Would ask him to see if he can make a custom harness for you since finding crimpers in the states for such small wires is hard to find. You can buy his $60 or $70 crimpers if you like. I might buy a pair for later use just to make my own custom harnesses.

WIRING:

Here is a readout of what pins on what connector go to other connectors.

If you are looking at the rear of the connectors this is how they read.

16 pin Navi Screen connector(i90):

8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9

1. Not Used

2. Not Used

3. Black/White Stripe

4. Brown/Yellow Stripe

5. Green/Yellow Stripe

6. Pink

7. Yellow/Red Stripe

8. Blue/Red Stripe

9. Not Used

10. Not Used

11. Violet

12. Green/Black Stripe

13. Grey

14. Violet

15. Black/Yellow Stripe

16. Black Yellow Stripe

20 pin Navi Audio(i91): This runs to the 4 open ports on the i88 connector.

1. Red/Black Stripe--------------------To Pin 4 on i88 Connector

2. Not Used

3. Not Used

4. Not Used

5. Not Used

6. Green------------------------------To Pin 8 on i88 Connector

7. Not Used

8. Not Used

9. Not Used

10. Not Used

11. Red/White Stripe------------------To Pin 2 on i88 Connector

12. Not Used

13. Not Used

14. Not Used

15. Not Used

16. Not Used

17. Not Used

18. Not Used

19. Not Used

20. Red-------------------------------To Pin 6 on i88 Connector

10 pin DVD Drive(i50): These Mostly run into the 16pin connector. The Colors are solid since the harness I bought from Kenwood not from SUBARU.

5 4 3 2 1

10 9 8 7 6

Kenwood Colors/(OEM COLORS)

1. Not Used(Not Used)

2. Red(Yellow/Red Stripe)

3. Not Used(Not Used)

4. Brown(Not Used)

5. Pink(Brown/Yellow Stripe)

6. Black(Black/Yellow Stripe)

7. Yellow(Blue/Red Stripe)

8. Orange(Violet)

9. Green(Grey)

10. White(Green/Black Stripe)

14 pin Radio Harness(i26): The colors will change when you get a Harness from someone else

(Aftermaket Colors)

1. Orange

2. Grey

3. White

4. Violet

5. Green

6. Yellow

7. Orange/White

8. Grey/Black

9. White/Black

10. Red

11. Black

12. Violet/Black

13. Green/Black

14. Blue

10 Pin Clock Connector(i59):

1. Violet

2. Green

3. Not Used

4. Not Used

5. Yellow

6. Black/Yellow

7. Not Used

8. Green/Black

9. Yellow/Red

10. Blue/Red

15 Pin OP Connector(B228):

1. White/Red

2. Yellow/Red

3. Green/Yellow

4. Violet

5. Green/Black

6. Brown/Yellow

7. Black

8. Grey

9. Black/Yellow

10. Black/White

11. Brown

12. Light Green/Black

13. White/Black

14. Not Used(OP Harness has a Light Green/Yellow Wire)

15. Blue/Yellow

Now that we have all the wiring colors sorted, I am Going to provide you a list of what wire on what pin goes to where. This will make it super simple to wire up the system before touching the car this can all be done inside your home/workshop.

Now remember this is if you are looking at the back of the navi screen or back of the connectors where the wire feeds into.

There are 3 ways to wires this up to work each way is listed below!

How to Wire Up using the RADIO HARNESS:

1. Not Used

2. Not Used

3. To Pin 7 on Radio Harness

4. To Pin 6 on the OP Connector(There is other places to get it from just the OP is the quickest way)

5. To Pin 3 on the OP Connector(There is other places to get it from just the OP is the quickest way)

6. To Pin 21 on i10 Gauge Cluster Connector

7. To Pin 2 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 9 on Radio Harness

8. To Pin 7 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 6 on Radio Harness

9. Not Used

10. Not Used

11. To Pin 8 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 1 on Radio Harness

12. To Pin 10 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 19 on i10 Gauge Cluster Connector

13. To Pin 9 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 11 on Radio Harness(This is for Navi screen while in motion HACK)[Enables all menus while moving]

14. To Pin 22 on i10 Gauge Cluster Connector

15. To Pin 6 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 11 on Radio Harness

16. To Pin 11 on Radio Harness

How to Wire Up using the Clock Connector:

1. Not Used

2. Not Used

3. To Pin 6 on Clock Connector

4. To Pin 6 on the OP Connector(There is other places to get it from just the OP is the quickest way)

5. To Pin 8 on the Clock Connector

7. To Pin 2 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 9 on Clock Connector

8. To Pin 7 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 10 on Clock Connector

9. Not Used

10. Not Used

11. To Pin 8 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 1 on Clock Connector

12. To Pin 10 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 19 on i10 Gauge Cluster Connector

13. To Pin 9 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 6 on Clock Connector(This is for Navi screen while in motion HACK)[Enables all menus while moving]

15. To Pin 6 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 6 on Clock Connector

16. To Pin 6 on Clock Connector

How to Wire Up using the OP Connector:

1. Not Used

2. Not Used

3. To Pin 10 on OP Connector(DO NOT GROUND THIS! Other wise Illumination switch will not work on the NAVI)

4. To Pin 6 on the OP Connector

5. To Pin 3 on the OP Connector

7. To Pin 2 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 2 on OP Connector

8. To Pin 7 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 1 on OP Connector

9. Not Used

10. Not Used

11. To Pin 8 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 4 on OP Connector

12. To Pin 10 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 5 on OP Connector

13. To Pin 9 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 7 on OP Connector(This is for Navi screen while in motion HACK)[Enables all menus while moving]Gorund!!

15. To Pin 6 on DVD Drive/ To Pin 7on OP Connector

16. To Pin 7 on OP Connector

Pics:

Connectors for the Navi Screen

20130109_163531.jpg

How I ghetto rigged my i10 Connector for the Time being

20130105_013925.jpg

Another Top Shot of how it's wired up

20130105_014229.jpg

OP Connector Location

20121230_044832.jpg

OP Connector(From Subaru JP.) Yes it is a JDM part

20130111_204144.jpg

My Rigged up i10 Splitter Harness so I can grab the 2 CAN-BUS wires from it.

20130115_004925.jpg

Radio Harness Hookup if you can't notice there is a ILL- Wire missing on the Female side it comes like that from METRA thats why I suggest getting a harness from SVXdc also he can do a custom harness for you.

20130111_020937.jpg

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK HERE!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The DVD harness is a 10pin harness that wires to the 16pin Navi screen harness for power and such. I went though my SpecB harness last night and traced back all the wires through the system. I'm going to my buddies house to see if maybe we can have a fund day of tracing wires. Most of it looks pretty easy but then again it could be harder than I think since the 05 wiring is supposedly different then ours. I will find that out today when I start tearing into my car to find all the right connectors.

looking forward to you getting this done so i can copy everything and get mine up and running. i appreciate the write up, as i'm sure everyone else will

yep yet another project that I went into all by myself. Usually I am the type of person to not touch my car unless I have a DIY.

I started ordered a few things to get mine rolling

here are the connectors for the clock to make it plug and play

10 Position 040 Connector

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/040_Connectors/040_connectors.html

Yes you can go that route but I am not since we still need the clock hooked up since the SRS Airbag runs through it. Disconnect clock = airbag light on dash. No good. Disables the passengers Airbags! If you do order the connectors I suggest getting an extra Female connector just so you can Wire up the clock and jump off what wire you need. The other problem with those connectors is that you need to buy the CRIMP tool for $60 from that website to get them to work. As well as 22 gauge wire to fit the pins. I have yet to find a CRIMP TOOL that will crimp the connectors correctly in america. I have over $200 in Crimp tools and none of them crimp it correctly. With the Smaller pins too that mean that you have to run smaller wire gauge so that means the flow of electric will not be as good. The current that runs in that I think is a 7.5A whereas the NAVI should be running through a 15-20A this will power it up and run but it is unstable down the road.

I tend to go over the top when I am doing an install for the first time and since I will be the first one to complete it on a(n) 05 U.S. Spec Legacy I wanted to cover everything. Here is a breakdown of what I have parts wise and will list what I am using and not using.

Navi unit(bought from member here)

Includes: Navi Screen, Navi Bezel, DVD Drive, 13pin round connector and extension wire for GPS Antenna. That was it

Price: $450 shipped

Misc Connectors

I bought a few of these thinking in going the I59(clock) connector route. However I am going another way.

Price: $50

Spec B Dash Harness

I bought this to actually find out how Subaru Ran all the wires throught the Dash. I was sent an entire dash harness when all I needed was the Instrument harness.

Price: $100

Tools:

Solder Iron x 3. 1 mini Torch, 1 Soldering Gun, 1 Soldering Stick I am only going to be using the soldering stick. so really only about $20 of this

Price $60

Crimpers: I went all out on this and bought a few Crimpers to try out new things with wires I have never done before.

Shitty AWG Crimpers/Strippers(any autozone), Ratchet Crimpers for the standard shitty Red, blue, yellow connectors, OEM Terminal Crimp tool(fit's pretty much every size Terminal except Battery Terminals)

Price: $200 Might not even use any of these but they are good to have in the long run.

Tools 2:

Strippers Small AWG goes down to 24AWG up to 12AWG

Heatshrink tubing kit(misc Sizes)

Black Tape(make everything look OEM)

Flux Paste(this is the bomb for any NOOB that has no idea how to solder)

Cutters(dyke's as we call them or snippers clean cut for wires)

Price: $60

Most of these thing I will not even use but decided to buy them for future help anyway.

All in all I think I have spent around $200 in actual stuff that I will use. I am not sure at the moment because I am still working on the install any chance I get. It's holiday season and I work in Retail so finding a good amount of time to get it done in one shot is impossible.

Oh I forgot to add in the 10pin Wire harness from Kenwood for the DVD Player. that was about $65 shipped

There is a much cheaper way to do this as well. Spend about $100

100ft 18 Gauge Wire(any color): $20-$25

Heat Shrink tubing to fit the 18 guage wire(get black only): $15

Strippers Small AWG: $20

Black & White Tape(white for label wires black to wrap all together): $10

Wire Taps(red color): $20

I first had the Navi Wired up to this way and it worked well. No one knew the wiser since everything was hidden.

The only other thing you would have to buy is the GPS antenna from either Subaru or Kenwood. Both are over $60.(DO NOT BUY EBAY OR AFTERMARKET ANTENNAS THEY WILL NOT FIT!!!!!)

So in reality the cost of a ghetto rigged project would be more in the $150 range give or take. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I have done soo much research on this I am even trying to figure out how to Copy the Version 7 Navi discs to get them out to people. I have version 7 thanks to a fellow IL member. I got Version 1 with the Navi Unit. WAYYYY BETTER.

• 2 weeks later...
Anything new?

Yep I was starting the writeup on post 1. I stopped because it was 2am and I had to be at work at 6am. I will have it completed in time for christmas. My install is not complete since I am going with a completely different route but I will show you guys how to wire up the system.

Update:

I ordered a Forward and Reverse radio harness from Amazon. I was going to wait for SVXdc but he is probably very busy with the holidays but there is a chance he can make use a prewired radio harness with the lines we need cut. I am on the Hunt for a 22pin Gauge Cluster connector. I am looking for the one that the connector plugs into(Female?) it's posing to be a pita but I am going to contact some people in hoping to find this to try and come up with a plug and play kit for our cars. This way people that buy the Navi for their 05's can just plug and play with little work to get to the connectors.

Congrats on the install AkumaMax, I wanted the Navi a month ago but didn't want to purchase not knowing if it would work. Would love to see a video of the navi in action ( gauges etc) did you get the audio to function or is that another DIY writ-up?

Congrats on the install AkumaMax, I wanted the Navi a month ago but didn't want to purchase not knowing if it would work. Would love to see a video of the navi in action ( gauges etc) did you get the audio to function or is that another DIY writ-up?

Like I said in my post as of right now the Navi is out of the car. All the wires are where they should be I am just waiting on the Forward and Reverse Connectors for the Radio Hookup. Today I am going to try and trace where the damn Reverse goes that is my last big task with this project. As for Audio that was the simplest part out of the entire project. All it is, is 4 WIRES for audio. They attach to the i88(8pin connector) to the rear of the radio. If you were to take out the radio and look at the i88 harness(all black) you can see where there is 4 wire ports that are open. That is where they plug into. I'll throw up a few pictures as well as kinda redo the writeup a little bit.

Sorry was excited to see you got the DIY written up. Look forward to pics/video in the future!

Yea if you really want I can put my previous video up of the navi working. It was all kinds of clusterfuck of wires at that time. Now everything is nice and neatly wrapped like as if it came from factory. Supposedly Amazon will be getting the Wire Harnesses by the 10th of January. So anytime after then I will solder what I need and hookup the rest so that way everyone will get to see how it is. BTW I hid the Clock in between the Right of the radio area and the left side of the glovebox. I have a few pins disabled on it for the fact that it gets very very hot if it is fully illuminated. All it has lighted on it from now on is the Yellow Airbag lights nothing else. I didn't use the Clock connector because their wasn't a sufficient amperage running through it. Enough to make it run I was just a little wiry about using it that's why my power will be coming from the Radio.

Update: I have been looking into this thing called an OP connector It's supposedly hidden under our dash. Japanparts.com has a Harness for it that will allow someone to jump off of that to gain all but 2 of the CAN-BUS wires(information) for a Navi install if this is true this might be the answer that I have been looking for. I had heard of this connector about 6 months ago but never paid any attention to it since now. I have to go out to the car to take a look at it just to verify that it has most of the wires needed if so this silly little connector costs no more than $50 shipped from Japan. I know I want to keep running wires down to a minimum but if I can get 10 of the 12 wires that are needed from the navi through this I will change the install and it would take about 1hr away from the install.

I can confirm that my 05 LGT Limited Wagon does have an OP connector. I'll get a picture of the area where it's at and what it looks. This is super neat even more so since when I was down there I found out where the 2 CAN-BUS wires go to as well(the BIU) unit witch is only about a foot away from where the OP connector is. I'm going to try and find out if I can get a plug and play harness for this so there is no need to really wire anything up for the Navi to work it'll just be plug and play.

Archived