LegacyGT.com

opinions about CDT audio

Precise

After doing some research on components for the front, im trying to nail down what i want.

I was deciding between the JL xr-650 and the Infinity kappas based on other ppl's opinions (have to listen to them on my own to pick).

I also came across these http://www.cdtaudio.com/hd62ef.htm

i havent really heard of cdt but car audio enthusiasts enjoy them. The model im talking about are the EF-61CFi/24. Has anyone heard them and how do they sound?

also, will they fit in the doors with proper spacers? Thanks!

I own CDTs and have in many past vehicles. I'm in love with them. For me there is no need to shop anywhere else for speakers. They are a very flat sounding speaker (meaning you don't have to eq them) and for people who like a very balanced audio system you are going to be hard pressed to find better. If you are looking for booming bass or lots of treble they are not the company to go with. The imaging and the high are are amazing. I'm installing my CDTs when ever I get a chance, from taking off the door they will need spacers of at least an inch it looks like. I'm not sure if they still offer them or not, but don't get there titanium dome tweeters they blow up and are a bit tinny (think Boston). I haven't blown up the silk dome yet and I've ran 250 RMS through a pair of them and they sound great.

I've had the CDT CL-61a in my WRX and now have the CDT EF-61. Pretty much agree with 93formula. They are tough to beat on price/performance. Lots of additional info on http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/. I purchased my first set from thezeb and my second set from Island Sound (AIM djdilliodon). I thought it was kinda strange to order over AIM, but they are an authorized dealer and the EF-61 were $175 shipped.

sounds good. I guess I will have to go ahead an find a place nearby to listen to them. As for booming bass or lots of treble....i like bass, but thats what a subwoofer is for. Do they at least have some mid bass in them so that all the bass isnt coming from the trunk?

They have great mid bass, but thier subwoofers that they sell are not a boomy type like a JL they are for really balanced quick response. The subs do well on rap not as good as JL, but when it comes to any kind of rock, jazz, or country the CDT subs will blow them away. CDT makes their product line around very balanced setups.

And not all bass that you hear comes from the trunk, frequencies around 150 Hz come from the door speakers and are very low sounds.

I have heard nothing but good things about CDT. For an easier install there are also the EF-61NEO slim line series. Mounting depth is 2-inches. An east coast CDT dealer from the sounddomain forum says the EF-61NEOs have slightly better midrange, but lacks midbase as compared with the larger magnet EF-61S. Not a problem if you already have the factory sub to cover the midbase. He is selling the EF-61NEO for $195 shipped and the EF-61S for $175 shipped. The EF series really need an amp to run.

I would scoop up a pair of the EF-61NEO, but I don't have a garage to do an install. Here's the link for CDT: http://www.cdtaudio.com

the only thing im worried about now is buying the speakers that i want and then having them not fit w/o spacers... but i'll leave that up to the installers to deal with.

Careful with that approach - if it's not an easy install the shop will inject the word "custom" into the bill & the cost will go up quickly. Basically you can get away with a 1" spacer (tho you run the risk of the driver cone hitting the door panel at high volumes). Better to go with 3/4" (probably cut out of MDF) which give you about 80mm mounting depth. It's tight.

http://www.iaperformance.com

You can squeeze some CDT's with spacers from them, I'm told. I really like CDT component speakers. I was going to buy some for the GT, but then I decided to put my money in other areas. I like CDT better than JL, and definitely better than Infinity.

im thinkin about going to lisn2me's car audio shop around here. Hes a member on this board and has a LGT wagon so he should be familiar with the car. and im pretty sure he wont rip me off ;]

RIght now im looking at the cdt's and the DLS MS6. The DLS have a mounting depth of 2.64". Do you think a 3/4 inch spacer will give me enough room for these speakers.

i couldnt find a mounting depth on the cdt...

also any thoughts about DLS speakers?. i heard the DLS iridiums are sick, but those are too expensive for me. Im deciding between cdt ef-61 and the dls ms6. Thanks!!

I mounted the CDT EF-61's w/ spacers from IAPerformance. There is no rubbing or hitting of the speaker on the door panel like I had with my WRX. Mounting depth is shown to be 2.75" for the EF-61's. Anything more deep, would be putting the speaker too close or touching the door panel. At that point, you could replace the door panel pins with longer ones around the speaker area to give an extra 1/4" or so. It wouldn't look so great, but it's an easy way to give you a little more room.

Archived