LegacyGT.com

Legacy navigation system - a conspiracy theory :-)

arnox

OK, I really want the navigation system because I travel a lot. I’m also curious, and I can’t understand why Subaru would offer the navigation system in Japan and Europe, but not in the US. Here is what I have so far. The facts: 1. The European (and I’d assume Japanese) navigation system appears to be made by Kenwood. The screens are identical. 2. Subaru has flirted with OnStar in the USA before. 3. OnStar is owned by GM 4. GM has stake in Subaru ..and now for the speculation/conspiracy part: GM wants Subaru to use OnStar as a part of yet another demented MBA plan (orchestrated by MBA graduate(s), like the ones that destroyed Sony), and goes something like, ..people in the US will pay $30 per month to get navigation as part of the OnStar service, because they crave yet another service, and they’re too darn stupid to figure out that they could get the same thing for free. :P

Some models (I think some previous top-tier Outbacks) have had Onstar. I remember a Subaru rep asking the normal thursday night chat on Edmunds.com what we thought of Onstar and if should be in any future models (this is a very wide range of individuals here) and it was a unanimous vote against Onstar. It is said that a Nav system may come later this year, though it's more than likely on '06 models as the rarely announce additional products mid-year. It's supposed to be coming, Subaru is just very cautious with this market. They've been burned in numerous areas and I can sort of relate to their motives for being safe about this.

When something is not ready, companies tend to "stall" the market. Basically, they announce the product and make up some date that's just close enough that will make you wait for it, and prevent you from giving your money to the competition. I'd like to spend my money with Subaru, especially if I'm going to get a system that fits the car perfectly. But if they can't tell me that I should wait for something, and won't tell me what that something is - why should I wait? ..and that is why I simply cannot understand the silence - and YES! - it's killing me :twisted:

Hmm if it makes you guys feel any better, SatNav is not offered here in Oz or NZ either. SatNav would be fantastic if offered but it does come with a $$$$$$ pricey tag. It would also be trick if you could turn the SatNav off and use the screen for a boost guage, like the current R34 GTR. That would be nice :)

OnStar for navigation doesn't really seem to work well. Cadillac has some vehicles with OnStar and DVD navigation. The current Acura RL has that setup as well, so I fail to see how OnStar can/would be the navigation system.

It's for old people that can't deal with technology, so you call up onstar and an operator reads you directions.. Works really well when you are a technophobe. The DVD nav is just redundant. You might as well just pull over and ask someone... Oh it's also good for people hacking into your car to listen to your conversations. BTW, tinfoil is effective against RFID, that phrase is outdated. Ask any professional shoplifter.

[quote name='arnox']I'd like to spend my money with Subaru, especially if I'm going to get a system that fits the car perfectly. But if they can't tell me that I should wait for something, and won't tell me what that something is - why should I wait? ..and that is why I simply cannot understand the silence - and YES! - it's killing me :twisted:[/quote] I am with you Arnox... My lease to my current vehicle runs out in January 06' My current car has a navigation system that I have grown accustomed. I am hoping that by the time I have to get my next car maybe, just maybe their will be some info on the Navigation System. I am considering maybe a portable GPS, but There is nothing better IMO that a factory looking Navigation System inegrated in the dash. Subaru, please listen to us who want Navigation, please offer it as an option to those of us who want to pay for it.

At the end of the day u can always go a buy a system to put in yr car that would be cheaper than the Subaru offering. A NON Subaru offering would maybe have more features at a lower cost with the ability to move it from car to car as you upgrade down the track. Just a suggestion......

the aftermarket navigation system issue is a complicated one because the hole between the vents isn't DIN, and it's not wide enough for a simple installation of most touch-screen monitors. I've seen an Alpine 5+" monitor installed but it sticks out at the top. It's basically begging to be ripped out of the console by a retarded gang member. if anybody knows of touch-screen monitors that would fit, please speak up!

"if anybody knows of touch-screen monitors that would fit, please speak up!" What are the dimensions of that space between the central dash vents? Width: Depth: Height: Any additional internal feature dimensions: Pictures with dimensions would be nice, if you can provide them. Thank you.

[quote name='a.spider']"if anybody knows of touch-screen monitors that would fit, please speak up!" What are the dimensions of that space between the central dash vents? Width: Depth: Height: Any additional internal feature dimensions: Pictures with dimensions would be nice, if you can provide them. Thank you.[/quote] Don't know if these are accurate, but gives us a big idea of the dims as stated by another member on this board [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1353[/url]

It's Kenwood and Subaru again! [url]http://www.kenwood.com/j/products/carnavi/navi/hdx710/system710/index.html[/url] I've contacted Kenwood Japan about their OEM deal w/ Subaru, trying to see if we in the US could get our hands on the OEM units directly from them. As expected, ..we can't! [b]Should we petition Subaru?[/b]

I’m relatively new here - my GT MT Wagon should arrive next week. [b]I’ve already signed the petition.[/b] Should we include a 'Petitions to Subaru' link somewhere prominent on the website? (please, don’t tell me it’s already there). If more people knew about it, maybe we’d have more then 9 signatures. I’m under the impression that Subaru actually listens to their customers. Do we have any Subaru representatives in the forums? It would be nice to have an official response on the subject.

The petition was created yesterday, its the top news item on the front of the site... not that everyone reads that. :) Don't worry, I'll spam everyone here to sign it in a few days.

[quote name='Tide']The petition was created yesterday, its the top news item on the front of the site... not that everyone reads that. :) Don't worry, I'll spam everyone here to sign it in a few days.[/quote] While you're creating the petition for the navigation, why not create another one for the HID headlights too? Japan has them, why not in the U.S.? :?:

[quote name='Tide']I have no interest in HID. There is legislation in works to possibly ban all HID from USDM autos, and its already illegal to add then aftermarket.[/quote] What a bunch of technophobes. When is the last time anybody got an inspection sticker and they actually checked your headlight adjustment like they are supposed to? Never for me. Regardless there is legislation always in the works to do very backwards and stupid things. Some pass, some don't.

Archived