LegacyGT.com

installing hella super tones in 98 legacy

Reduces sound output because the stock horns pull amperage? Incorrect. A simple relay gets activated which in turn opens the electric solenoid air valve, (AKA another relay), sending a full 150PSI blast of air to the horns. I'm sorry and I'm not trying to start an argument, but your statement is so wrong. You state that you "clearly" hear the stock horn before the air horns because of a delay.

When activated the delay you speak of can exist if you have a long air hose run, it would have to be several feet, from the solenoid valve to the horns. My longest air hose is less than 2 feet. My stock horn is not heard at all before, (or during), the blast. As far as harmonics go, The volume level difference between the 2 is astronomical, You can't possibly hear the factory horn. I never had. Perhaps you have a very loud stock horn? (This was not written to piss you off, I just know my system)

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Reduces sound output because the stock horns pull amperage? Incorrect. A simple relay gets activated which in turn opens the electric solenoid air valve, (AKA another relay), sending a full 150PSI blast of air to the horns. I'm sorry and I'm not trying to start an argument, but your statement is so wrong. You state that you "clearly" hear the stock horn before the air horns because of a delay.

When activated the delay you speak of can exist if you have a long air hose run, it would have to be several feet, from the solenoid valve to the horns. My longest air hose is less than 2 feet. My stock horn is not heard at all before, (or during), the blast. As far as harmonics go, The volume level difference between the 2 is astronomical, You can't possibly hear the factory horn. I never had. Perhaps you have a very loud stock horn? (This was not written to piss you off, I just know my system)

We are each talking about our own system. In your case, perhaps your setup is well suited. What I was pointing out was that you claimed my setup was significantly over-complicated, when in fact you are assuming my setup is similar to yours, which it is not. I was merely pointing out that my setup solves a lot of problems inherent in a variety of other setups aside from YOUR specific application.

The decrease in sound that I referred to (and I should have been more clear) was for those people in this thread who are buying a second set of electric disk horns. Hooking two sets of them up to the stock wiring WILL draw more current through those wires than was intended, and WILL have a negative impact on the volume. In your case, your second horn is an air horn, so this does not apply to you.

In MY case, there IS several feet of air line between my solenoid and my air horns. This means there IS a split-second delay in my case which means that I CAN tell very distinctly that the stock horns are honking. That, to me, sounds sloppy, and is the same as when you get a cheap paint job that looks cool until you notice the door jambs are the wrong color.

Again, perhaps your setup works fine for YOU, but most of the folks here are not looking for air horns, and hooking two sets of electric horns to the stock wiring is not good. In addition two sets of electric horns honking together will NOT sound good. I was simply providing a solution that works for everyone, even if it does take just a bit more wiring, and offers a neater solution with more control over the two sets of horns individually.

Archived