LegacyGT.com

Ej22e, to fix, or to upgrade?

So my 96 Liberty (Autocorrect: Legacy) has a few issues, I knew about them from day 1, but the mysterious coming and going of some of them makes me wonder if I should be bothering with fixing it up, or if I should just find another engine.

Examples, I know that one or both head gaskets need to be done as the car heats up inside 10 minutes of driving, and I've found evidence of exhaust gas in the radiator overflow. I know the previous owner had overfilled the oil. I know the radiator has a small leak, though that's probably just as easily patched based on it's location as it is replaceable. The power steering has a leak somewhere immediately around the fill cap... Trying to figure out where at present is a nightmare though. and after trying to prove the fuel light works (seems it doesn't), then filling the car up, I had a total loss of power, ECU seemed to go limp, as the car refused to switch into power mode... However that problem seems to have disappeared on starting it this morning.

I've been told that a WRX HG shim should fit, but I'm pretty sure that only applies to 25 engines, not the 22s.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if it's worth spending the time and money going around to find all the faults and fix them, or if it's just as/more viable to source a compatible engine that doesn't have these sort of issues and drop that in instead, possibly including a manual conversion. Am I missing anything important here? I have no idea.

Ideas and opinions on what the best move is would be great.

I'm struggling to find the time to do much productive towards the car at present, so regardless what option I go with, I'm going to have to have someone else to do the work, or it'll never get done.

All depends on cost of replacement engine.

If you can do the work yourself, replace the HG's, and any thing else that is due at the same time. ie t belt and pulleys, separator plate if yours is plastic (probably).

Power steering probably leaks from the o ring in bottom of reservoir. A search will show how to fix.

O.

looks that a replacement engine is going to fall in the $1000-$1500 range for another ej22e, though even that could wind up needing a hg after a while. in a lot of ways even if it costs more it may be worth doing all the work on my current engine.

cheers for the ps info too, that sounds very likely to be the fix i need there. I'll have to check the separator plate as well, now that i think about it, I'm betting its plastic too.

Your separator plate is probably plastic. A new upgraded metal plate is cheap, $33.

If you want to swap a manual transmission you will need to do a bit of reading. You will need a new pedal assembly and will have to drill some holes and mount it, as well as a new clutch slave cylinder, mounts, etc. Here is a good thread to read to get an idea of what you need to do (note: you will not need to go all out like the OP of the DIY, but this will inform you): http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/swap.html

It's too bad you are so far away. I can get 22Es from the junkyard for next to nothing. They are great engines. Reliable and bulletproof. Mine has 263k and I drive it like I stole it. The 22Es can go 300-400k (miles) easy!

HGs are not that bad of a job. It's a bit daunting at first, but once you do it you will be confident to fix just about anything that comes your way. And your friends will think you are an expert! ;)

this car has 268,000 kilometers (i forget the miles conversion, sorry) on it, and I'm pretty happy to fix whatever needs doing to get her back up to speed and get my transmission right again, in a lot of ways i kinda like it being an auto, so i think I'll leave it. manual would be more of a consideration if it was awd, but as its not i think I'll keep this one as a nice neat daily drive. only real modifications i want to do are projector headlights, scooped hood and some wrx rims. keep it nice and simple and clean. though i have a feeling once i start with the engine, pulp never stop til it ends up awd and manual. lol

Archived