LegacyGT.com

Clutch burning smell when stopped? WTF?

BigTDogg MA

So my clutch smells like it's burning when the car is stopped. Doesn't matter if I'm in neutral or in gear with the clutch pedal depressed. No odd behavior while driving, nor is there any smell (even with the vents open) while driving. I don't race or drive hard, it's just a daily driver. I've launched it from a stop maybe 5-6 times total, but not recently, and never smoked it out.

It's a CCI 2200 clutch and flywheel, TSK3 kit, Stage 2 car. 27K miles on the clutch

Do I need to adjust the clutch? Is the clutch dying already?

What, your not going to buy a $80.00 axle from the auto parts store and replace it.

I replaced my left one over 2 years ago.

Here's the correct p/n Autopart International (206320)

https://www.autopartintl.com/locations.htm

MIne came from Advanec Auto PArts, But it had the API label on the box. API is about 1.5 miles from Advance in Enfield CT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What, your not going to buy a $80.00 axle from the auto parts store and replace it.

I'm short on time, and don't have a jack right now. I could def DIY given the time and space. Does it just slide right out of the diff and wheel bearing?

Thanks for the PN. I googled it and saw your post from 2 years ago :lol:

The hardest part is breaking the torque on the axle nut.

It helps to use a impact gun on the lower ball joint nut, AFTER you remove ALL the cotter pin.

Pry on the axle not the tranny to pop it out of the tranny.

If you jack up that side high enough, you will not lose any gear oil.

You may have to remove the end link if you other then OEM ones.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In my years of experience as a mechanic, CV boot kits are ALL junk. They are very temporary fixes at best and replacing the whole half-shaft with even a reman unit from a parts store is a drastically better solution.

Max has it pretty much covered but don't forget about the E-clips on the inner side of the half-shaft splines. You'll need some muscle to get the half-shaft in and out but make sure the new one is in all the way before tightening things up and the E-clip isn't bent or broken.

Glad you found the problem so quickly :)

GTTuner FTW, hit the nail on the head

:lol: Mine let go two weeks ago. I have not had a chance to fix it yet, the smell is God awful especially after being on the highway.

I went the boot route, I got a new boot kit from Subaru, 30.00 dollars with the grease and clamps.

Yeah, I don't have the time and my garage really isn't set up yet. Only one spot available and my Z is parked there for the winter. I'm having Motive Auto do it. Hopefully this weekend I'll finish up cleaning out my garage and do my brakes. When I do that, I'll take some scouring pad to the DP and clean that bitch off.

Archived